Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's definitely a flare up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-2012 View Post
    Thanks for the prayers. I do know that they help.

I think this is where Phil and I gang up on you and give you the dissertation on "Proper Sinus Health Through Irrigation". OK Phil, I started it; you're up!! LOL!!
    In all seriousness, without the three liters of saline I run through my sinuses twice a day (yea, almost two gallons), my sinuses would be a solid crust from front to back. I've noticed now that the weg is starting to get under control, my ear is opening up more too. Looks like it might be a good month after all for my nasal health at least. Now, if I could only get a good breath of air every time, that would be a fantastic thing.
    I, too, can testify to the fact that, the more saline irrigation at one time, the better. I remember my ENT years ago, before WG dx, frowning at me doing the rinse more than twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. And the directions with the NeilMed may say something to that effect. But I know better now.... the big stuff will usually not come out without several rinses in a row! You may not even know it is in there! You will feel it loosen up little by little and then will be glad you did multiple rinses.

3 liters twice a day is a lot, Mike! I've often wished the NeilMed bottle was bigger. I just picked up a new one and noticed in the literature that there is a new product, a battery operated pulsating model, and I wonder how much it holds. I've seen mention of pulsating irrigation appliances from other companies, too, on the web. And then there is Phil's Water Pik method. Right now, finances dictate that I stick with the basic NeilMed model and do multiple rinses. Once I get a bunch of big stuff out, I can go easier for a couple days or more.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now I usually just do 2 liters twice a day but sometimes 3 times a day.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Right now I usually just do 2 liters twice a day but sometimes 3 times a day.
    Not much of a dissertation Phil! (-8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One word: WATERPIK
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are all going to have to try the WaterPik!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course.....it is so much fun.....
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    3 liters twice a day is a lot, Mike! I've often wished the NeilMed bottle was bigger. I just picked up a new one and noticed in the literature that there is a new product, a battery operated pulsating model, and I wonder how much it holds. I've seen mention of pulsating irrigation appliances from other companies, too, on the web. And then there is Phil's Water Pik method. Right now, finances dictate that I stick with the basic NeilMed model and do multiple rinses. Once I get a bunch of big stuff out, I can go easier for a couple days or more.
    Yes it is a lot of rinsing, but it is what I have to do to keep my crusts clear and sinuses clear. My ENT said he's never seen someone so diligent in trying to help himself. Yesterday, he spent time in the sinuses clearing out the big pieces that don't come out when I rinse. What it boils down to is my insurance is paying for a endoscopic nose picking once a week for a while until the weg flare goes down and the sinuses start to go back to "my normal". I joked with him yesterday when he pulled out a really big one, and gave him my best Bulliwinkle impression, "Nothing up my sleeve." The MA, the doc and me all had a great laugh at that one! Glad he has a great sense of humor, because he kept going for another 15 minutes afterwards. I don't think there's been an office visit with him when he hasn't ahead the endoscope up in my sinuses and done something to help me keep a clear airway. That's why I cringe when people here post about the ENTs that are doing nothing for them. Mine is exceptional.

i started using a SinuPulse Elite machine right after diagnosis, and burned that up with pouring water into it. What I realized after I burned it up is that the $49.00 water pick that is sold at CVS has the same tips. I've been using the water pick for a while now. The basin holds a liter at a time. The nice thing about the bigger hopper of water is that you can run a longer stream for a longer period of time through. If I had to do three liters 2 time a day with a squirt bottle, I'd go NUTZ! I run the first basin to loosen up stuff, blow gently a few times, and then use the other two basins full to keep doing the same. I mix saline myself in one of the big Pampered Chef pitchers with the plunger/mixer in it. Recipe for saline I got from my ENT. The other nice thing about the constant stream is that you never flood your ear by squeezing the bottle too hard. I was doing that all the time with the NeilMed bottles. The stream is less, and I even have a conversation with my wife while rinsing. It's far more gentle, and less abrupt than the bottles.

And, I also learned lately that you can use the tube part of the NeilMed bottle on the cut off end of one of the water pick tips that comes with the machine. Simply cut off so it's flat, and stuff the tube that goes in the bottle over the end. So for folks where finances are tight, $50 will get you into a water pick that you can buy locally at CVS.

Trust me, once you've used the water pick device, you'll never go back!

So, want more of the dissertation yet? ROFL!!! (How'd I do Phil?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You pass with flying colours Mike......

There are days when I think I have got everything out then later on in the day I feel something in there I try to pick out and nothing is there. So then I rinse a few times with 2, 3 and 4 liters.....then BAM, the mother of all boogers comes out......4 inches long, 2 inches wide.....YIKES. This happens at least once a month besides the many regular large boogers I get out each evening and morning.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    You pass with flying colours Mike......

There are days when I think I have got everything out then later on in the day I feel something in there I try to pick out and nothing is there. So then I rinse a few times with 2, 3 and 4 liters.....then BAM, the mother of all boogers comes out......4 inches long, 2 inches wide.....YIKES. This happens at least once a month besides the many regular large boogers I get out each evening and morning.
    Holy Crusts Phil-man! You have my record beat for big crusts!

I know it's not funny Phil, but I really needed that smile today. Just the thought of what you wrote made me smile, because my wife usually rushes to the sink when I yell, "OMG, where did that one come from?" Yours would have stopped that practice in her tracks--pronto!

I bow to the oh Jedi-Cruster!!!!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, you two. Yes, having a reservoir of a liter at a time sounds SO much preferable to filling that little NeilMed bottle over and over again. I guess NeilMed is not thinking of Weggies, but they need to get a clue that we need something bigger, and maybe with better tips. I will try to set aside $50 for a WaterPik.... not this week, but when Christmas pottery sales start to kick in.

My ENT will dive in at a moment's notice to extract the deeply entrenched boogers. But I don't see him very often any more. Maybe it's time for a visit. I don't think mine are quite as bad as either of yours, overall, but I just might be surprised....
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast