Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Infections

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much, everyone for your caring and advices.
    you are so amazing and I love you all

I was waiting for the culture to return… feeling that my powers are running out like in a hourglass… sweating all night … feeling sick but still went to work. no choice.

The culture finaly arrived today at 17:00 and my GP prescribed me med.

now I have new antibiotic to enjoy, this time Zinnat or Cefuroxime.
    Last time it was macrodantin or Nitrofurantoin. Time to taste more kinds
    I want to hug each one and one of you and bless you with all my heart, feel well
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used Cefuroxime before.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alysia,

So sorry to read about your battle with an endless stream of infections. Like you I am in a cycle of RTX IV and my docs have perscribed Co-Trimoxazole (Septrin/Bactrim) to give me an 'edge' when dealing with bacteria.
    Perhaps in the future, after you have dealt with the current issue, you may add this to your armoury?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you got your antibiatics..hope they work fast for you..can you not take time off work? Hope you feel better soon
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've taken Cefuroxime, too, back pre-Wegs dx for a sinus infection, one of many. I think it worked OK. I hope it works for you, and soon. This syndrome of fighting off a string of infections and not feeling well, sweating at night, etc., is something that needs to be resolved so you can get back to being your sweet and happy self. Do get plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids, and treat yourself well, let others do things for you. If you must work, know your limits and if you must take some time off, I hope you can just do it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Savva View Post
    Alysia,
    Sorry to hear you had a lot of infections. I was not on rituximab, but on cyclophosphamide iv. I do not remember exactly the dose, but I think I had 1,400 mg cyclophosphamide intravenous every month. With God's help I ended by something like 19,800 mg total after this IV therapy. Now on aza, and my doc says it is enough for now. During IV therapy I had only one serious infection - my right arm from inner shoulder to forearm and even palm got stricken by herpes. I still do not understand how this could happen, I always thought it was sexually transmitted infection and I never been into serious relations before. My guess is that it is actually not a bad sign - it means rtx is doing its job well. But you having so many infections makes me think rtx should be stopped or lowered. Do you take azathioprine and how long have you been doing rtx? I really would like to know. About infections prevention - I can't say nothing, it is obvious you are having them because of weakened immune system but then again you need to keep this level to forget about WG symptoms and the only way of preventing any infection is immune boosting therapy.
    I wish you to stay healthy.
    Hi Savva. I couldn't bear aza so I am on mtx, pred and rtx. rtx is every 6 months. I don't think it should be stopped but I need to find a way to reduce infetions.
    Herpes, as far as I know, is of 2 types. you prob got the type which is not related to sex. like the wounds that sometimes apearing near the lips when there is some virus or fever or without fever.
    thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by Alysia; 11-04-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: too much typing errors
    Alysia
    dx 2008

https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you, all, for your caring and encouraging. I love you.
    Geoff, I can't take bactrim. I used to take it but it elevated my ALT (liver functions).
    thanks for your advice
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Hi Savva. I couldn't bear aza so i am on mtx, pred and rtx. rtx is every 6 months. I don't think it should be stopped but I need to find a way to reduce infetions.
    herpes, as far as, is of 2 types. your prob gor the type which is not related to sex. like the wounds sometime apearing near the lips when there is some virus or fever or without fever.
    thanks for your reply.
    I just googled to make sure, and shingles is also a form of herpes, and I wonder if this could be the one Savva had on his arm. It is "herpes zoster", and only appears in people who have had chickenpox, as the virus stays latent in their body after that. It seems older people and a few Weggies tend to get it. I know a younger non-Weggie who got it, too. Anyway, you are right about the other two kinds, and many people have the Type 1 which appears as "cold sores" on or around their mouths. I have had them all my life and they appear more when I'm stressed or run down or about to get a cold or something. For some weird reason, since I've had Wegs, these heal faster, which is the opposite of how I'd think it should be. Maybe the pred kills the inflammation? I also have an herbal preparation that really works well on these but it may be hard to get. I can share the name with anyone who wants it but would first make sure it is still available on the web.
    Last edited by annekat; 11-05-2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: typo
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Savva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    rtx is every 6 months.
    Strange. Here in Russia we usually get iv therapy until we cant take it no more. Then switch to other immune suppressants. At least that's what my doc tells me. I had cyclophosphamide IV every month 14 times straight, (in a row)! After 8-9 times of this iv therapy (after 8-9 months) I always had a severe nausea and had been vomiting for 10-11 hours (usually starting at midnight and ending at about 1 pm) with breaks of about only 30 min in between. I guess by that time I had enough of cyclophosphamide in my body. I wish you will never experience anything like it with your rituximab therapy. God bless you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Savva View Post
    Strange. Here in Russia we usually get iv therapy until we cant take it no more. Then switch to other immune suppressants. At least that's what my doc tells me. I had cyclophosphamide IV every month 14 times straight, (in a row)! After 8-9 times of this iv therapy (after 8-9 months) I always had a severe nausea and had been vomiting for 10-11 hours (usually starting at midnight and ending at about 1 pm) with breaks of about only 30 min in between. I guess by that time I had enough of cyclophosphamide in my body. I wish you will never experience anything like it with your rituximab therapy. God bless you.
    Hi Savva, each med has its own "protocol" of administration.
    I hope you will never have to go through it again.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast