Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First winter with Wegeners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First winter with Wegeners

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the cold and flu season? This is my first winter having Wegeners. I would like to stay as healthy as possible thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Avoid sick people as best you can.
    2. Practice good hand hygiene. Wash your hands often. Use sanitizer.
    3. When in confined spaces, wearing a disposable surgical mask helps screen germs.
    4. If you and your doc agree, get your flu shot (there will be a divergence of opinion on the forum about this).
    5. Eat healthy and get your rest.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drinking hot tea, cider, coffee, and warm soups seemed to help my husband at least feel better...with all the sinus trouble. He also took RAW vitamin C.
    Sleep, sleep, sleep...matters so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, cong for the new avatar ! you and your little sweet boy looks awesome
    how old is he and what is his name ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Pete, cong for the new avatar ! you and your little sweet boy looks awesome
    how old is he and what is his name ?
    That's my grandson, Ezra Jack Schaeffer. He'll be two years old next month. He's Grandpop's best little buddy!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Pete,
    i guess it's just common sense. I wondered myself about the flu shot. I have never been one for the flu shot. I always just practised good common sense in flu and cold season. I do work with the public. I'm a hairstylist and have just recently gone back to work part time. Maybe I'll consider the masks. Another thing I always used through the healthy years for me and my family was hot water with fresh lemon and honey to soothe a nasty cough.
    Thanks again! Kellie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you COWG. that won't be problem for me...I love warm drinks and soups during the winter months. Our winter season is starting now here in Canada.
    what do you mean by raw vitamin C?? Fruit?
    thanks for your reply. I wish your husband good health
    Kellie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I come home from being in the public I rinse my sinus with salt and soda water. There is usually some crust to come out anyway. A little OCD? Maybe - ha.
    But since I started being careful with washing my hands after public exposure and doing a sinus rinse when I get home many years ago I have not had the flu and only one wimpy cold. I'm actually getting those kinds of illness LESS than before WG.

Savva Guest

I do not have any tips, but when first symptoms come I take 1000 mg vitamin C once a day. (in tablets). This helps me not to get really sick. Usually I end up with sore throat at the worst, which I rinse with warm water with salt and soda until it gets normal again. Vitamin C (1g a day) for only 2-3 days - recovery afterwards. But every time I get cold, I loose my sense of smell and taste for about a week or even more. This is what really annoys me, have not found remedy for that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about that. RAW vitamin C is the brand. We buy it at health food stores, a vitamin C supplement that's actually raw as opposed to synthetic.
    We are not real health food people but this helps so much. Vitamin Code company has a whole series of RAW vitamins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast