User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What I wish I had known two years ago... (Paleo & Gluten Free topic)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned that I would post after I saw the holistic doc so just wanted to do a quick post. It ware really interesting, mostly from the muscle testing she did on foods and on supplements. I was actually taking quite a few supplements that just weakened me, so that is interesting. She gave me a few supplements to take, one is Zypan (can get on Amazon) and this was also suggested to me by the last holistic guy I went to. It is supposed to help you digest food better. She also told me that I should be gluten free (knew that ) and dairy free, she also stressed the need to not have sugar in my diet. Dairy and sugar will be harder than gluten for sure for me. She also said that corn is really bad and that should be avoided as well. Anyway that is it in a nutshell, but feel that it was really helpful and hoping it can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aewaustin View Post
    Annekat - Yes I also found that source of probiotics and it is a good one, Thanks for mentioning!

Regarding the sourdough, unfortunately if bread is not gluten free, specifically, then it is not gluten free. Sourdough is no different than normal bread, wish it was though...
    Yes, I know that sourdough bread isn't gluten free, I was questioning the probiotic aspect of it, perhaps for those who haven't gone GF but would still like to help their gut. Since we were talking about probiotics. However, it still seems to me that baking the dough would kill the good bacteria, so I was wondering why the site I was on would make that claim in the first place. i just wondered if I was missing something.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny you should mention sugar, since I have been thinking about it a lot the last couple of days. Generally I can eat moderate amounts of it without a lot of trouble, but the last couple days, I have been in a location where chocolate, cookies, etc. are readily available and have eaten too much of those things and it has really messed me up! Not just the usual sugar high followed by a crash, but it increases my Wegs symptoms such as coughing and breathing difficulties. I remember this happening when I was first sick with Wegs but didn't have a clue that I had it, just thought I was dealing with lots of sinus and allergy issues and recovering from a severe ear infection. After a year or so of treatment for Wegs, when I felt a lot better, this sugar problem became less intense.... not that I was eating a lot of it, but I could occasionally indulge without it being a big deal. Now that I'm trying to taper pred from 10mg. on down ultimately to 5mg., the intensity of this problem has resurfaced! Especially when I'm out in colder weather and under the stress of my business this time of year, which involves selling in an open air market two days a week and making a product the other 5 days. It should not be that hard to resist the worst of the sugary stuff. But with Halloween and Christmas coming up, there will certainly be a lot of it around! If I can only remind myself how bad it makes me feel... Personally, I think it is easier for me to avoid sugar than dairy or gluten... not making a judgement on it, just observing. I have not actually gone gluten or dairy free, and agree that it would be a good thing to strive for, but I will say that neither of those things make me feel as bad as sugar does if I eat too much of it. And I'm wondering if it makes any sense that it would become even more of a problem when at this stage of tapering pred, as seems to be the case.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found this article and wanted to share Modifying Paleo for Autoimmune Conditions (i.e., The Autoimmune Protocol) » The Paleo Mom.

"Autoimmune conditions and a leaky gut go hand in hand. In fact, in every autoimmune condition that has been tested, a leaky gut is present and is a contributing factor to the illness (not all autoimmune conditions have been tested, but many in the paleo community assume that leaky gut is a factor in all autoimmune conditions). For individuals with suspected or diagnosed autoimmune disease, additional dietary guidelines exist to help address the disease"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne - Interesting. The holistic doctor was really against sugar, to the point that I started taking everything she said with a grain of salt, but I do know it is bad.

And at least you can tell when your weg symptoms are acting up, that is great when you can tell. For what it is worth, I did not have an issue with gluten before I stopped it, there were no issues when I had it. But after I got it out of my system, which takes 6 weeks, then I definitely noticed a difference. Unless you go 100% GF I don't think most folks can tell how it is affecting them. Part of that is because when the gluten is in the system the villi in the gut are not fully absorbing stuff, but once you remove the gluten then they start absorbing more and then when they get gluten it causes more of an effect. Really hard to describe but I hope that helps some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, AEW. I probably shouldn't even talk about gluten until I decide to go off it for 6 weeks and more. But the info you share and that I see other places is interesting. I could see going off wheat if I could replace it with other satisfying and easy to prepare foods. But the Paleo diet seems to rule out rice and any grains, even those without gluten. That would be hard. I did find out that buckwheat flour doesn't contain gluten, btw, so buckwheat noodles can be used in place of pasta, along with rice noodles, as I think you mentioned. So I'm sure if I embarked on one of these plans, I would do the GF angle of it before ever trying the Paleo angle with no grains. I do like to eat animal protein, so that part wouldn't be hard. And eating more veggies isn't much of a problem. Dairy is another issue; I really don't drink milk anymore but do eat a lot of yogurt and use half and half in my coffee. I also use butter, but other than that, just extra virgin olive oil. It gets overwhelming hearing about different diets and people swearing by them.... for example, I know people who are vegans, and could never eat animal protein, so have to use soy, and I'm not sure what else, for protein. It seems like if you consider all of the more reputable diet systems out there, you will not be able to eat anything at all! Except veggies and fruits, I guess.

I have met one person who has gone GF and sings its praises, but I think she also thinks she has celiac disease. Most notably, all her allergy symptoms disappeared, and that would be a big one for a lot of people whether they had an AI disease or not. Seems to me that allergies are like a form of AI disease, or related to it, though they are not usually labelled that way....

Anyway, back to the sugar, thanks for your comments on that. How it makes me feel does seem to be a reliable indicator of disease activity for me. Since that incident last weekend, I've eaten a little of it with no real problem, but really do not have sweet stuff around right now or put in it my tea or anything, except for that which is in flavored yogurt or fruit that a friend has canned. We will see how I handle Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas! If I am just careful, I think I will be OK.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started my gluten, soya, dairy, shellfish. peanut, sugar free diet about two weeks ago. I often find myself standing in the kitchen looking around and wondering what I can eat. I actually was beginning to feel quite weak and then I started back on dairy. Sugar was not a problem, I never really have had a sweet tooth (wouldn't think that if you saw me...thanks to pred) and most of my sugar intake in the past was in tea of which I drank about 8 cups a day. I cut out that sugar about 2 years ago and have been drinking tea with milk only. Recently have cut down on the tea also, in fact during this diet down to one cup a day. I am still GF and I guess soya free. Shellfish I never eat and peanut rarely. I have started eating cheese again and I am feeling better for it. Not too happy with my holistic doctor, without gong into too much detail, but after two consults and a few phone conversations I have found him to be a bit 'scatty'. Doubt if I will be going back but I will continue with everything for now and see how it goes.

I have seen l lot on the net about food allergies and leaky gut and I have often wondered about the connection with allergies and AI diseases. Whenever my 28 year old son consumes dairy he complains, within of about an hour, of sinus congestion and heavy puffy eyes. This has been going on since he was very young. We have had him tested for allergy twice and it has come back negative. A milk allergy can be very severe and life threatening and could cause anaphylactic shock. His is not life threatening but obviously dairy produces an allergic reaction in him and the immune system has been activated as it would in hay fever sufferers. It is not an intolerance as this is when the food eaten gives GI symptoms as in lactose intolerance. My research on the net informs me many people suffer the same symptoms after eating dairy. It is a problem for him as he just loves cheese, pizzas etc but tries to avoid dairy products as much as possible.
    Last edited by Rose; 10-25-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rose - I am learning more and more about being "intolerant" of foods. I have no allergies per say, but now that I am GF if I eat gluten I get very sick, faint and lightheaded which can last days. For dairy though I just get stomach pains that are horrible. To test I think I am finally going to pony up the money to do the Alcat testing for foods.

And yep, I finally found a holistic that is awesome, but went to two duds before her.

Many people think that everyone with autoimmune has leaky gut. It seems to make sense.

Annekat - I hear you on Paleo, basically I just avoid wheat, corn, milk and cheese. The other grains and dairy I try to eat very infrequently. Those seem to be the worst foods and then after that I just go by what makes sense. I am getting tested for intolerances and am going to use that to help tweak further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting about being gluten free and then getting sick if you eat a little of it. I have recently cut way back on gluten. I stopped buying bread and just eat other things at home... when out, I may eat a muffin or something, but it doesn't seem to affect me. So, no, I'm not gluten free, but I do find I'm feeling a lot better having cut out the bread! The main dairy I eat is yogurt, and a little cheese, not a lot. Yogurt sometimes gives me acid reflux; I guess that says something.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234