User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I wish I had known two years ago... (Paleo & Gluten Free topic)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, It sound very convincing. since I have already problems with my colon and I already restricted my nutrition very much, I don't have to change a lot, mainly just the bread. I think I have to try this. thank you so much for all the info and explanations
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just reading this and i have been trying to go gluten free for 3 weeks now and it´s really hard, there is gluten in so many foodstuffs that its easy to overlook.
    But i allready feel a slight improvement in my gut/tummy area, especially in the evenings which helps me sleep so i´m going to try and stick it out.
    Thanks for the post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hgustafs - Congrats! Just stick with it, but I know, it can get frustrating because gluten is in so many things. It does become easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thing I thought of... Try to focus on what you can eat instead of what you can't, just is more pleasant that way When eating it out it is great if they have a GF menu, and more places are getting these. The best I have found at a national chain is Outback, they have one that is like a normal menu but just GF. The worst place I have found is Cheddars, their management just does not get it, in one place I read that they said "they are not giving out GF info until they have to in 2014". Needless to say I won't be going back to Cheddars anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Aewaustin

Just the other day I consulted a holistic doctor. He wants me on a Gluten Free, Dairy free diet and also no eggs, peanut or shell fish. He has put me on lots of supplements 'to get my garden in order' as he put it. I have had problems with my bowels over the years but recurrent UTI"s and now diagnosed with mulltidrug resistant UTI has had me running for alternative help. We had a great chat and he made a lot of sense. the only thing I am worried about is that he wants me to take 2 caps of organic live probiotics...60 billion each cap. I do take a probiotic (about 5 billion each cap) as I am sure I am low with all my digestive problems but that seems too much. There are many articles on the net about probiotics being dangerous for the immune-compromised especially when there is a possibility of them getting out of their usual environment and passing through the gut blood barrier because of inflammation or a bleed. I am sure you were prescribed some on your treatment plan?
    If so, what was your dosage? Sometimes I wish I was not so informed compared to the general population so I dont question everything but we Wegs have to be. Just seems too much to me though I do think I should increase my dosage but not by over 20 times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rose -Interesting. I am trying to get in as many good probiotics as I can just to get my gut built back up because of chemo/antibiotics. I am not sure what is too much, but I tam taking a lot and drinking Kombucha on top of that. I know that on B vitamins I thought I was taking quite a bit but then discovered that it was just not enough. The concern I would have over that doctor is that he is asking you to do a whole lot at once, and I am not sure that there are that many folks who could go cold turkey on that kind of diet. My Rhummy said one thing at a time, go gradually to get adjusted. Anyway, that is my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually it hasn't been too much of a problem as peanut, eggs, shellfish I hardly touch anyway. Dairy...I do enjoy cheese but can do without. Biggest problem is bread and milk for my tea. Actually not doing too bad there either, have allowed myself to cheat a little having toast and tea at breakfast but only then. I will though slowly wean myself off. Must ask him about B vitamins. I dont take any and what is Kombucha....dont worry, I'll google it. But I must say the nutritional supplement he prescribed had an almost immediate 'good' effect on me. At first I thought I was just having a good day but then I looked at the reviews on amazon and most people are raving about it. It is called InflamX by Metagenics. He also pescribed their probiotics which also have good reviews. Starting with a smaller dose (15billion live bacteria) before I go on to the stronger stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rose - You are much stronger than me I will say for the gluten that the holistic doc I saw said that it stays with you for 6 weeks, so that to get benefit you really need to be 100% GF for 6 weeks. I never had an issue with gluten until I went without for 6 weeks and then when I had it there was a strong reaction. So I highly recommend getting gluten free bread for your fix, gluten really irritates your gut every time you have it. Check out some of the books on it if you need convincing

For B vitamins I get my B-12 tested at my Rhummy and it has been interesting to see. And thanks for the heads up on the supplement, I will check it out.

I am going to a new holistic doc tomorrow and curious to see the outcome...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have recently become aware of another source of probiotics and that is naturally fermented vegetables. That is, not using vinegar to ferment things, but inducing the process to happen through encouraging live bacteria to grow in the veggies, and examples are sauerkraut and pickles done this way, not just pickled cucumbers but also peppers and other veggies. I think salt is involved in some way, too. There is a booth at the farmers market where I sell pottery, which sells these products and also teaches people how to make them. I have tasted them and they are delicious. Beyond that, I have not yet become a real consumer of these products and don't know a lot about the process. However, I will try to look into it a bit and perhaps share a link or two. I imagine these processes have been around for a long time, but how it works is new to me.

I was also reading somewhere that sourdough bread is better for you than other bread, and I'm assuming they mean bread with gluten, because there is a fermentation process which also produces live bacteria. But that leads me to the question, wouldn't these bacteria be killed when the dough is baked, rendering them useless to helping our guts? I can do more research but it takes more time than I have. Interesting subject, though.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annekat - Yes I also found that source of probiotics and it is a good one, Thanks for mentioning!

Regarding the sourdough, unfortunately if bread is not gluten free, specifically, then it is not gluten free. Sourdough is no different than normal bread, wish it was though...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast