Likes Likes:  47
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: How to know when you're having a flare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news Natalie, so glad you found out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good news glad to hear your doing better DEEx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ty guys I hope she all gos away with out a hitch over the comming weeks still have my fingers crossed ,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Summer,
    I am from SC too, I agree with everyone else responses. Personally, i will start with severe swelling, coughing, pain in my legs, inability to walk. I am NOT trying to scare you, but trips to the doctor are very important, and don't leave with questions in your head. It helps me to write down any questions I think of and ask whomever I am seeing, example phyc, ruem, pul, nueph, php, I write down the answers and compare, which leads to more questions, just breath and educate yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Hi Summer! As Jack said, usually it's when your original symptoms start creeping back. You can also have a flare and not know it, like me Apparently accoring to my blood tests, I was having a flare (high ANCA) but I didn't feel any different, a bit tired maybe but that could have been anything. Goes to show that you need to keep up with regular checkups and stay in touch with what your body is telling you.

Do you think you're flaring now?
    What is considered High Anca?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think high is anything above 10.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

7. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I want to thank all of you for being here! I don't write often...only when I need something usually so I hope you don't feel used. My son was diagnosed with WG/GPA in May 2010 when he was in kidney failure. He was having some nasal symptoms at the time but there was not permanent damage and the symptoms resolved with his treatment. He's had a couple of colds over the last year but has really gotten a lot better with no active disease. Then 3 weeks ago he had various symptoms that would come and go: sore throat, high fever, weight loss, diarrhea, and stuffy nose which was constant. We spent 2 days in the ER getting checked out with tons of labs. His ANCA was at 2 last August and 3 weeks ago it was 40. His sed rate and CRP were both elevated. His kidney function was stable. 2 weeks ago he had more labs and the CRP and sed rate were lower but the ANCA was 48 and he was feeling great although he still had a stuffy nose. 1 week ago he started not feeling well again with a severe stuffy nose with symptoms that have come and gone like a hip that hurt for 4 days and diarrhea. The stuffiness is a bit better on a stronger allergy medicine but now he has a severe sore throat. So far a pediatrician, rheumatologist, nephrologist and ENT have not been able to figure this out. The rheumatologist says if the allergy medicine doesn't work then she'll try Septra and then increase his prednisone. Questions: Does it sound like a flare? Has anyone had a sore throat as part of a flare? Does ANCA increase with a virus?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me this sounds like a flare. It almost sounds like my initial onset of symptoms. I believe ANCA can increase with a virus. I did have slight sore throat with my flares. I believe it was due to the amount of coughing I did with coughing up bloody mucus from my lungs or coughing up post nasal dried chunks from my larynx.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

10. Likes Alysia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Sue, it does sound like a flare. What immunosuppressant is your son on besides prednisone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's on azathioprine. His rheumatologist said recently that her preference for sinsus/nasal flares is methotrexate but he can't take it because he has kidney damage. We live in California but we're supposed to be leaving May 11 to go to North Carolina for a nephrology second opinion and to attend the vasculitis patient day. I keep thinking there's that ENT in New York but I don't know if it would do any good to try to see him. Sue

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast