Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Mud Run or not to Mud Run?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To Mud Run or not to Mud Run?

Before I fell ill with this lovely monster, I was doing mud runs. A mud run is a 5k with obstacles that include a whole heck of a lot of mud. Mud pits, rope ladders, over unders, etc. They are a blast.

I signed up to do one at the end of October with a group of friends .... before being started on MTX. When I signed up, I was in the middle of my old doctor swearing I didn't have anything wrong with me so I didn't think about it.

Now I wonder ........ should I cancel? The mud gets in your mouth, and every other possible crevasse. Everyone is crawling in, and quite possibly peeing in, these mud pits. Would I be putting myself at risk doing it?

I know MTX isn't as strong as CTX but ... it's always in the back of my mind not to expose myself to something serious.

What do I do?!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just don't be dumb....
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really couldn't say if mud is any more likely to have dangerous bacteria than everyday airborn bacterias and bacteria you may come across on anything that you touch. BUT I'd be more cncerned about pushing you body beyond it's limits. Although there is no definitive proof that stress can cause a flare/relapse, through my own experience I think stress does encourage a flare.

I was 18 when I first went in to remission. I had not been abroad before and between my friends we decided to go to the Dominican Republic. I'd come of the chemo, but was still on high doses of Pred. All my family were demanding that I didn't go on holiday, especially to a country that isn't very advanced medically. I had been so close to death that I just wanted to live a little. I went on the holiday and did things I know were risky (whitewater rafting) and drinking way too much 151 proof rum.
    I had an amazing time, experienced new things and became addicted to travelling.

I guess what I'm saying is don't give up on life and let WG rule your life. BUT 5K?? I'm struggling to walk 50 metres at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikki it does sound like a blast except for maybe people peeing in it and then you get a mouthful of mud and the way you have been feeling lately that just may be pushing yourself to the limit. Do you have to do the whole 5k ?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, unfortunately, the 5k is the minimum amount. I mentioned it when someone asked what I was doing on that day and then it dawned on me that I signed up thinking that by the end of October I'd be fit as a fiddle again. At most when I go for walks I can do 2 miles, not 3.5 right now. And ... after said mud run I'm supposed to come to work for 14 hours.
    It just doesn't sound like an all around great idea at the moment.
    I don't know what the people around me are doing, it's everyone's sweat and whatever being washed into the mud. It just makes me cringe now ... whereas before, the mud didn't bother me.

I hate to have to back out after paying so much to do it. But, I would hate to pay an even bigger price with my health if I do it.

Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait until next year. The mud will still be there, and you should be stronger.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it funny how when I am the midst of something fun and active, I do not feel so bad, but I have learned the after effects about three hours later and into the next day stink.
    I want so badly to do those active things, but every day is like a scale of give-and-take of energy.

There will be plenty of other mud runs.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I would avoid it. I can think of much better ways to get exercise and have fun at the same time and stay in a healthy environment.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Nikki,
    Please tell us you've made your mind up and this year you're giving it a miss.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilders View Post
    So Nikki,
    Please tell us you've made your mind up and this year you're giving it a miss.
    Hi Gilders, cong for you new avatar !
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast