Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Western Fans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ian cbs action is a satellite/cable channel but not available online as far as I can see.funny how all these old shows keep popping up in my head like Laramie and maverick not to forget bonanza and the high chaparral.i'm feeling quite old right about now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes crackers. It does make you feel aged remembering all these old westerns. I always thought that the "modern" westerns from the late 60s on, although more true to life, just didn't compare with the old Randolph Scott, James Stewart, Joel McCrea, John Wayne era movies. I know most of these guys appeared in more modern westerns too (True Grit eg) but these oldies just had something special. By the way, there's a treasure trove of old western movies and series on You Tube. Tons and tons of them! The Restless Gun, Lawman, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, The Virginian, The Cimarron Strip, High Chaparral, Smith and Jones, Laramie, Maverick, Bonanza... it's endless! Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yes crackers. It does make you feel aged remembering all these old westerns. I always thought that the "modern" westerns from the late 60s on, although more true to life, just didn't compare with the old Randolph Scott, James Stewart, Joel McCrea, John Wayne era movies. I know most of these guys appeared in more modern westerns too (True Grit eg) but these oldies just had something special. By the way, there's a treasure trove of old western movies and series on You Tube. Tons and tons of them! The Restless Gun, Lawman, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, The Virginian, The Cimarron Strip, High Chaparral, Smith and Jones, Laramie, Maverick, Bonanza... it's endless! Ian
    The western channel plays the old westerns and many of them are the classics plus a lot of cheaper ones that never made the cut for heavy distribution. Things were so much simpler then when the good guys wore white and always prevailed in the end and usually got the girl too.
    Last edited by drz; 09-08-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you in the States drz? I'm in the UK. I remember watching the western channel when I was in Florida on holiday. I distinctly remember watching Escape From Fort Bravo then. Great movie.

One thing always puzzles me in westerns. Why when they need to shoot out of a window do they always break the glass instead of opening the window?

Yes, much simpler when the good guy always won and got the gal. Always found the gals a distraction though. Would fast forward the smoochy scenes - no interest! They spoiled it most times!
    Last edited by Ian; 09-08-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Are you in the States drz? I'm in the UK. I remember watching the western channel when I was in Florida on holiday. I distinctly remember watching Escape From Fort Bravo then. Great movie.

One thing always puzzles me in westerns. Why when they need to shoot out of a window do they always break the glass instead of opening the window?

Yes, much simpler when the good guy always won and got the gal. Always found the gals a distraction though. Would fast forward the smoochy scenes - no interest! They spoiled it most times!
    It was a surprise to me when I visited some countries in Europe to see how much many often embraced our western dress and music. Expensive Stetson hats in Germany and Norwegian country western singers and bands were two I remember. It is easier for us to believe Australia might share much of country western traditions and a more similar history.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am 80. We had radio only. William Boyd's voice as...(you guess) was great. Clayton Moore as...(you guess). This guy's horse was Toni???? We got TV when work and school took me away from the set. So, I liked all of the above and a lot more. How about the original "Lonesome Dove"? Stagecoach? How about the one where they hung the wrong guys? High Noon (It was filmed in Eastern Washington. The "hanging tree" was still standing until the early 90s.) I digress.... I, we, love them all. I am reminded of Hoot Gibson...? Ev

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopalong Cassidy and The Lone Ranger but confused about the horse Toni? The Lone Ranger's horse was called Silver (Hi -ho Silver, away). I think Hopalong Cassidy's horse was called Topper.

Yes, the original Stagecoach was a classic. They did a remake I think mid-60s with Bing Crosby as the Doc and Alex Cord as Ringo (he's no John Wayne!). Wasn't a patch on the original.

I grew up with radio only too. Can't really remember westerns on the radio then here in Ireland/UK but they probably were.

Have to admit I never heard of Hoot Gibson. I checked it out on Google and see that he was a children's matinee western star. Before my time!

My mother loved Gene Autry and Roy Rogers (and of course "Trigger").
    Last edited by Ian; 09-12-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this will help...about the horse named "Tony" not Toni. My wife's name is Toni as in female, Tom Mix's horse was Tony, as he was a stallion. I thought more people would join us in our listing good old westerns, movies and TV. There has been thousands of them. Thanks to the internet I can search for them and download them to watch later on my big screen. It is fun to go back to movies I saw as a kid. Ev (mr.g)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember Tom Mix (BIG hat) - a bit before my time but definitely recall him. So his horse was Tony? Didn't know that. I also remember (again really before my time) Tex Ritter!

They don't make movies like the old ones anymore. The late 40s & 50s classic black-and-white thrillers (and westerns) were just brilliant.

Trying to recall a black-and-white western name (late 40s I think) with John Payne. Starts off with him and his buddy goldmining in Apache country. They have to make a quick getaway when the Apache arrive and shoot a couple of them and take their ponies to escape. Does anyone recall this movie?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12