Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Prednisone side effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default List of Prednisone side effects

I was searching for likely side effects for a long time when I started my meds - but the ones I could find were quite ambiguous and didn't help much. At another group someone linked this page which even has pictures for the different side effects. Figured I'd share. Didn't know so many even have cute names, maybe my small buffalo hump isn't too bad Strange how many I've seen to collect already even though its like one month from my diagnosis.

Prednisone Information

Here is an interesting article on Pred side effects on the mind.

http://www.medicine.wisc.edu/~willia...ch_effects.pdf

Its also interesting since it takes into account larger Pred doses, like giving subjects 60mg of pred / day, as so many papers I've read just discuss 10mg and over as "high doses".
    Last edited by Wegetarian; 12-14-2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Updated with link to pred side effects on the mind, so it doesn't get lost in the thread...
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that link, Wegetarian, not only for the pred info, but because it is the link to the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center, a well-known and respected specialty center where some of our forum members go for treatment. I hadn't seen it before, and it gives lots of good info, so I have bookmarked it now.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it was the clearest list I've seen anywhere. Wouldn't be a bad idea to add it to some sticky thread. Actually it would be great to have a "Weg for noobs"-thread which could list the most usual symptoms, the treatments, medications and common side effects.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had seen WG info pages from JH before, but this looks like an updated version of it all from what I remember seeing before.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi wegetarian,
    thanks for the list
    it is a very depressing one
    the pics are "prescription" to some nightmares
    reading it makes one want to throw away all pred...
    which is not possible...

I want to "balance" it a little bit, so here is my love letter to pred, which I wrote at another thread... might be more encouraging...

My Dear pred,
    for years we are good friends. I will never forget how you saved my life, only you. even the docs didn't know at that time how important you are going to be in my life. they just check if you can help me.
    I needed you to be strong enough with me at the begining (60mg) and you cleared my lungs so well with no other help.
    not only that, you drained my ears, you calmed my aching red joints, you stopped my diarhea and terrible pains in my stomach. (since i have also colon involovement).
    I'm gratefull to you, my pred, for all that.
    and there is more: you were not cruel to me like you are with others: you didnt disturb my sleep at nights. never. you didnt make me gain weight.
    I admit I didnt like much the "cocker spaniel face" coming after "moon face". ("moon face" was nice, everyone said)
    you even helped me cook better (more gourmet food) and feelling Hi, when i was depressed.
    BUT, my dear pred, isn't it time to start separation ?
    you know I hate sepatations but I can handle one from you.
    so please, release me. set me free. I will never forget you.
    I promise.
    yours, sincerely
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one Alysia!

I dunno, I mean it just felt so great when the the Pred started working in just a few hours and I could finally breath trough my nose for the first time in three weeks, and by the next day it was all clear... And walking again outside without feeling so horrible (well that was partly the IV-antibiotics too..)

Now who want's to share their country song about the buffalo hump? I'm sure there must be one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wegetarian View Post
    I was searching for likely side effects for a long time when I started my meds - but the ones I could find were quite ambiguous and didn't help much. At another group someone linked this page which even has pictures for the different side effects. Figured I'd share. Didn't know so many even have cute names, maybe my small buffalo hump isn't too bad Strange how many I've seen to collect already even though its like one month from my diagnosis.

Prednisone Information
    Pretty scary stuff and good summary of why people strive to get off the high dosages of pred as soon as possible. I wonder how many of these do occur when dosage is under 10 mg day?
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should send them my picture of striae to put up - would scare the pants right off most people. Scares the pants off me sometimes and they're on my body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for that link. The lines on my stomach look like I have been attacked by aliens!!! The side effects list DEF helped calm my concerns about the changes in my body. I am glad to be down to 20mg of Prendisone... BUT I need other advice. (I currently take meds) but HOW do you all deal with the depression. I keep hearing things will get better. I cannot look in a mirror or have my picture taken. I do not look like myself. I feel like the mood swings get worse and worse. IS IT REALLY GOING TO GET BETTER? It's only been 9 months since my diagnosis and lung removal.. but at 32 I feel lost......
    official diagnosis: January 2013
    "What didn't kill me has only made me stronger."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take Lexapro to control serotonin loss, thus my moods. Also keep a bottle of Xanax close at all times.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast