Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: List of Prednisone side effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Gang,

I've been nutty busy, but have a day or two to bring my head above the water and saw this post... I just wanted to add a link to a post I made on my blog many moons ago talking about pred and all it's yucky glory... hope it helps.

Weggies Unite: Prednisone and it's wonderful side effects

Big hugs to you all.

Marta - not so smarta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will check it out Marta. I too started blogging or a online diary about my Wegener's adventure. You can find it at My Fitness Journey

It talks about diet, exercise and the prednisone monster! It covers some personal goals as well but feel free to take a peek.

Pete, I'm doing well watching what I eat and exercising. Its only been two weeks though so time will tell. My appointment up at CCF is next week so I'm so very hopeful they will taper me down on the prednisone after the appointment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Pete, I 'd say the diet is coming along good. You would be surprised at all the resources on the internet and different cook books to make going Paleo very easy. The hardest part is breaking the habit wheel-breads, baked goods and legumes. But to mix things up a bit, I've been making soups and salads and using the cook book for meats and its kept dinner exciting so far.

I started working out and lets just say......I AM EXHAUSTED!!!! Lol. But got to keep going if I want to keep this prednisone monster at bay!
    Sheila-dx and delivered baby Joshua January 2013 (Welcomed Baby Joshua)
    Follow my blog: http://charitymartinsfitnessjourney.tumblr.com ( a blog/daily journal about diet, exercise and health while being a wife, mom and WG patient)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sjap0655 View Post
    Hi Pete, I 'd say the diet is coming along good. You would be surprised at all the resources on the internet and different cook books to make going Paleo very easy. The hardest part is breaking the habit wheel-breads, baked goods and legumes. But to mix things up a bit, I've been making soups and salads and using the cook book for meats and its kept dinner exciting so far.

I started working out and lets just say......I AM EXHAUSTED!!!! Lol. But got to keep going if I want to keep this prednisone monster at bay!
    Soups are great because you can throw everything healthful in there and the nutrients don't go anywhere in the cooking process. And the liquid content helps keep us hydrated. I just found that collard greens are very good in soups, just cut them in thin strips and throw them in. The first batch included carrots, sweet onions, and garlic, but the next batch will have chicken chunks in it, too.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne. That soup sounds delicious!!!!
    Sheila-dx and delivered baby Joshua January 2013 (Welcomed Baby Joshua)
    Follow my blog: http://charitymartinsfitnessjourney.tumblr.com ( a blog/daily journal about diet, exercise and health while being a wife, mom and WG patient)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is an interesting article on Pred side effects on the mind.

http://www.medicine.wisc.edu/~willia...ch_effects.pdf

Its also interesting since it takes into account larger Pred doses, like giving subjects 60mg of pred / day, as so many papers I've read just discuss 10mg and over as "high doses".
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wegetarian View Post
    Here is an interesting article on Pred side effects on the mind.

http://www.medicine.wisc.edu/~willia...ch_effects.pdf

Its also interesting since it takes into account larger Pred doses, like giving subjects 60mg of pred / day, as so many papers I've read just discuss 10mg and over as "high doses".
    Just reading this has the potential to put me in a psychotic state... Sheesh.... here's an example of really having to weigh the pros and cons of meds, but seeing how pred keeps us alive, it automatically wins, but man oh man, that's just nasty.

Thanks for sharing this paper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marta? Psychotic? Take a Xanax...it smooths everything!! LOL! Reaching for coffee next to my drugs, next to my Xanax, next to me...oooohhoohhhh...next to ME-eeeee...
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, and when I was at the spa I also heard that its especially tough for the kids since their school mates can make fun of their moon faces Just like they wouldn't have enough to deal with already.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    Just reading this has the potential to put me in a psychotic state... Sheesh.... here's an example of really having to weigh the pros and cons of meds, but seeing how pred keeps us alive, it automatically wins, but man oh man, that's just nasty.

Thanks for sharing this paper.
    I didn't know this was another one of the many advances discovered by the Mayo Clinic way back in 1948.

I do remember the euphoria and hypomania which wasn't too bad. This was when I got down to 60 mg of pred. At 1000 mg solumedrol which equates to 1650 mg of pred the steroid psychosis was both great at times with delusions of grandeur (I was inventing drugs to cure Wegs and other disease) and the worst nightmare of my life (courtesy of ambien) when I thought I had been captured by terrorists that were going to behead me in the morning. I kept trying to escape but was too weak to even sit up. Seroquel was helpful in reducing the anxiety and other symptoms till the effects of the high dosage of solumedrol finally decreased. Later I remember also being depressed but I thought this had more to do with loss of health than the drugs.

This part still concerns me now: persistent memory and cognitive impairment occurs in 7 percent of people.

Doctors have told me concentration problems are normal for people taking pred even at lower dosages. This seems pretty common among many of us.

Thanks for the interesting reference. This is also worth saving in the reference section.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast