Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Prednisone side effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anytime Meode. I'm 34 BTW.

I was starting to feel easily aggitated when I was on 80mg of Pred, it also made it more difficult for me to sleep (took 20mg at evenings which did make me have more energy on the evenings). I was also feeling a bit depressed.

The doc was a bit surprised I was on so much, and cut me down to 60mg. I feel a lot better mentally, but its hard to put it all on Pred since obv so much have happened and it was only a month since I was diagnosed so lots of big questions and thinking etc. She did say old people can even go on a psychosis due to the pred. So strong medicine for sure. She said most often people just feel like they have more energy. I did feel that I don't cough as much when I have this lower dosage (although perhaps silly to say 60mg would be a lower dosage since I guess anything abouve 10 is considered high and someone mentioned that in some vasculites book for docs 60 was recommended as the max)
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Meode81 View Post
    Thank you for that link. The lines on my stomach look like I have been attacked by aliens!!! The side effects list DEF helped calm my concerns about the changes in my body. I am glad to be down to 20mg of Prendisone... BUT I need other advice. (I currently take meds) but HOW do you all deal with the depression. I keep hearing things will get better. I cannot look in a mirror or have my picture taken. I do not look like myself. I feel like the mood swings get worse and worse. IS IT REALLY GOING TO GET BETTER? It's only been 9 months since my diagnosis and lung removal.. but at 32 I feel lost......
    I too took some psychiatric meds during my real high pred days to help deal with extreme moods and to get some sleep. But with treatment things DO tend to get better usually but it doesn't happen quickly. Some changes are often permanent and hard to accept with out psychotherapy or great support system. Venting here can also be helpful because many of us have been there and had or have similar experiences and feelings.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wegetarian View Post
    Anytime Meode. I'm 34 BTW.

I was starting to feel easily aggitated when I was on 80mg of Pred, it also made it more difficult for me to sleep (took 20mg at evenings which did make me have more energy on the evenings). I was also feeling a bit depressed.

The doc was a bit surprised I was on so much, and cut me down to 60mg. I feel a lot better mentally, but its hard to put it all on Pred since obv so much have happened and it was only a month since I was diagnosed so lots of big questions and thinking etc. She did say old people can even go on a psychosis due to the pred. So strong medicine for sure. She said most often people just feel like they have more energy. I did feel that I don't cough as much when I have this lower dosage (although perhaps silly to say 60mg would be a lower dosage since I guess anything abouve 10 is considered high and someone mentioned that in some vasculites book for docs 60 was recommended as the max)
    A drug induced manic psychosis is most often result of being on extreme high dosages of steroids like 1000 mg of solumedrol which equates to about 1650 mg of pred meds. A few days of that will usually make you pretty manic. Quite an experience but staff seem very familiar with it and know how to deal with it well but your family might get rather freaked out by your behavior then. Every time i have needed to go into a hospital for Weg related stuff they have really cranked up the steroids because it is the most effective way to relieve the damage from inflammation but as we all know this miracle drug also has its downside so we all want to get off or down to lower dosage ASAP.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Venting here can also be helpful because many of us have been there and had or have similar experiences and feelings.
    Its not just the venting, at least for me it was extremely helpful to know more about the expected side effects of the meds. Its not like the doctors told me anything about them. They just put the pills in a little plastic cup and told me to take them. So reading here about other peoples experiences and knowing that pred caused mood swings to other people made it a lot easier for me to understand what is happening and accept it.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim added such a nice pic to the vasculites FB group, had to share

1236687_10151938817456177_763610542_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone read this book? Thinking of getting it so I'd know more about Pred and what it will do to me.

Coping with Prednisone, Revised and Updated: (*and Other Cortisone-Related Medicines): Eugenia Zukerman, Julie R. Ingelfinger: 9780312375607: Amazon.com: Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wegetarian View Post
    I read it a year or so ago. It's an easy read. She has eosonophitis (or something like that) and pred was the med. Parts are scary. Parts are hilarious. Women can probably relate better to her...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I haven't read the book but I can relate to the side affects from 60 mg of prednisone. I am experiencing moon face, buffalo hump and sleepless nights. I would also dare to say mood swings but my hubby would say "I just need to take a nap"...lol Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sjap0655 View Post
    Well, I haven't read the book but I can relate to the side affects from 60 mg of prednisone. I am experiencing moon face, buffalo hump and sleepless nights. I would also dare to say mood swings but my hubby would say "I just need to take a nap"...lol Cheers!
    Sorry to hear. If it makes you feel any better I felt a ton better when I went down from 60mg -> 40mg, couldn't really notice any of the side effects anymore. Now I'm at 25mg and I think my moon face is thinning down now. Still have the hump, but I think it might be going away too as I don't feel it as much when I move both my arms back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sjap0655 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your side effects. I've been really careful with my weight, but it's not easy. I can relate to the sleepless nights. At least I don't have to deal with working. How's the paleo diet going?
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast