User Tag List

Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo auto-immunity diet (The Autoimmune Protocol)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paleo auto-immunity diet (The Autoimmune Protocol)?

Hey Guys!

So I've been reading up on dietary stuff. I guess the consensus in what I've read would at least be to cut down the sugar and white flour. Or maybe I've just paid most attention to that because I love pasta and stuff that contain a lot of sugar

I saw some discussions that suggested a paleo autoimmunity diet. Too bad the articles were not in English, but a doctor recommended some kind of paleo diet for people with auto-immunity issues and specifically said that the current recommendations on eating a lot of bread have no scientific backing.

Here is a forum thread discussing Wegeners and paleo diet, unfortunately its not too long but was interesting still.

Wegener's Granulomatosis | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page

This site seems to have a ton of info regarding autoimmunity and paleo, but I feel a bit sceptical about it especially when knowing she kind of runs it like a business and wants to promote her upcoming book. Some of the stuff she says we aren't supposed to eat are recommended in the dietary recommendations for people with vasculites. Her Ph.D seems to be from medical biophysics, I was surprised she only mentioned her title on her site since it makes her sound like a doctor and I was wondering if nutrition was her speciality. Still the site is packed with info, and she did say she refers to over 1000 studies in her book so maybe she has done her research.

» The Autoimmune Protocol

Here is an autoimmunity paleo cookbook review (note that there is also a downloadable 20 page preview with recipes):
    Introducing the Paleo Autoimmune Cookbook | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

So, do you have any experiences with this stuff? I do remember hearing some of our members saying that avoiding white wheat helped their symptoms but it would be nice to hear more. Personally I've tried to avoid making pasta. I'm hungry so often these days and I don't think eating very unhealthy will do me any good - which sucks because I figured I'd worry about my weight later and now just relax. I have been doing salads and soups instead of my regular pasta portions though. But like today I ate a portion of onion soup and a large salad at 10.30 but then wen't out for a second lunch of pizza at 1pm
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

2. Likes trazz02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironically enough, I was full on paleo eating when my Wegener's decided to arrive. It was February 2012 when I first got sick and had not been eating flour of any kind, no rice, no beans, no dairy, no processed sugar. So, it didn't stop it from happening!!
    However, I do know that I physically feel better and have better days when I don't eat the flour products and really limit my sugar intake. I do eat dairy now as I feel I have some more energy with it. I usually eat just greek yogurt and put some goat cheese on my salads.
    It isn't for everyone, but I know I feel a little better when I've been eating very clean.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I look at the lists of what I couldn't eat the more I think its not for me. I guess my top-3 foods would be lasagna, pizza and spaghetti. Ok, I realize it might be smart to limit eating those. But I'm a vegetarian too - so no meat or fish but I do eat dairy and a bit egg. So I wonder what my host would say when I'm invited for dinner and tell them no meat, fish, eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, nuts, eggplants... I think I might be difficult enough without extra limitations... Weird to hear that tomatoes and chillies would be high up on the lists to cut out, I pretty much eat both daily.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was difficult going to family gatherings. Hubby's family is very organic/healthy in their eating. They strongly believe in whole grains, etc. Well, when we would show up and decline the tortilla or whatever, we would hear all about how whole grain is good for you ... etc etc. It's how I stumbled off the paleo wagon. I didn't want to be rude at a dinner party and when I had bread again .... OH it was wonderful.
    So now I live by an 80/20 rule. I eat good throughout the entire week, giving myself a day (sometimes two) on the weekends to enjoy bread, pasta, whatever. Of course, I've been very bad since I've been sick and hubby was sick. Neither of us wanted to cook so we'd go out. It's very hard to make good paleo choices when at a restaurant.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally think the paleo diet is a load of rubbish. It's just a repackaging of the now unpopular Atkins. There are strong links between meat and illhealth - heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, cancer etc.

I am vegan for ethical reasons, but I also think it is a good choice healthwise. I have been off medication over 2 years and ran a half marathon Sunday so it can't be too bad

PCRM are an organisation of doctors and nutritionists that advocate a vegan diet is best for health: PCRM | Vegetarian and Vegan Diets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on the Paleo for about two years now, and I feel it definitely better for it. Can feel it in my joints and sinuses when I have had pizza/pasta or dairy. Also managed to loose the pred. weight on it which was definitely a bonus.
    Rob Wolff has a lot of good information on his website with podcasts etc.
    But everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to reopen this discussion, see if anyone has an other positive or negative experiences. I started the Whole30 this week. It's similar to Paleo, I think. But it's 30 days of "clean eating", followed by reintroduction of foods that may or may not cause inflammation/digestive issues/ fatigue/ etc. Has anyone here tried it?

I'm only on day 4, and so far it's OK. I have noticed increased energy, and less bloating.

Looking forward to hearing your thought!

Thanks!

Nicole
    Nicole

9. Likes trazz02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did whole30 last may. It was not a pleasant experience for me-im sure you can see its tough to stay on. My dissapointment was that i actually felt alot worse expecially after the first full week. And i wasnt starving myself either. It just didn't sit well with me for some reason. BUT- i know it can help some people have more energy n feel better overall. Best wishes that you will have that experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by im so blessed View Post
    I did whole30 last may. It was not a pleasant experience for me-im sure you can see its tough to stay on. My dissapointment was that i actually felt alot worse expecially after the first full week. And i wasnt starving myself either. It just didn't sit well with me for some reason. BUT- i know it can help some people have more energy n feel better overall. Best wishes that you will have that experience!
    Thanks for sharing. The whole reason I looked it up in the first place is that I was reading that some people didn't have the great experience that is promised by the program when they were also dealing with an auto-immune disease. From what I read, there are certain foods you should avoid that the program recommends? But, of course, I can't find any detail on the subject.

Guess I'll just have to follow it as best I can and see for myself
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NicShaf View Post
    Thanks for sharing. The whole reason I looked it up in the first place is that I was reading that some people didn't have the great experience that is promised by the program when they were also dealing with an auto-immune disease. From what I read, there are certain foods you should avoid that the program recommends? But, of course, I can't find any detail on the subject.

Guess I'll just have to follow it as best I can and see for myself
    How did this work out for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast