Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Re: Wegeners' Rash

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question Re: Wegeners' Rash

Since I'm new to this diagnosis, I am trying to understand everything that my body is going through and educate myself. My rheumy always questions and exams for signs of rash and tells me to watch for, especially now that we have begun treatment, any signs of skin rash, lesion, etc [i had a cancerous mold removed last year on back already so this is of concern for me and rheumy]. Anyway, this past Wednesday I noticed on my left hand that I had what appeared to be several flat reddish spots. They didn't really bother me, but it just was out of the normal and I wasn't sure if it was maybe some reaction or this rash that we can get. I've been watching them and although the redness has lightened a little, the area is still there. I have goggled and looked at some pictures but they all seemed somewhat advanced stages and primarily on legs of patients. I would appreciate anyone's insight on this matter ... Thank you from Texas
    Auntie TooToo ~ diagnosed {finally} 4/2013

“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The WG rash, purpura, is purplish in color and seems to be able to appear anywhere on your body. Mine was on my hands and scalp mostly...itched a little, did not break when pressured, mostly just warnings that the WG was alive and kicking in me. Of course, then I knew nothing about purpura and what it meant. Signs of purpura are signs of active WGs...they don't seem to break or get infected, but they are definite signs you may need a drug adjustment in dosages. Best of luck.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the beginning, are they just a few and seem to come and go while fading in the brightness in color [seems to look more brownish this am than red/purple]. That first morning looked really RED like blood.
    Auntie TooToo ~ diagnosed {finally} 4/2013

“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting new symptoms is so exciting, isn't it? Well actually I guess we all hate that.. I also called my doc on Friday since I started having these red tiny spots. Kind of difficult to explain, but I always had these small spots on my arms and back but now there just seemed to be a lot more of them. Maybe I could just say my skin is a bit worse than before - I mean it doesn't look dangerous or that much different. Figured it was either the MTX or Pred that might be causing something... Dunno... Guess the doc didn't think it was too important just asked if I had some in my face, but told me to cut off the Cotrim antibiotics since I was supposed to stop using it anyway after the weekend.

Mine are really small though, and don't itch at all so probably not the purpura thing DD mentions.

I have an appointment for my employers doc tomorrow for other issues, but I'll try to remember to ask about my skin.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of skin problems develop when your immune system is suppressed or if the kidneys are damaged from the Wegs. I now have actinic keratosis and disseminated superficial actinic porokeratosis along with some eczema from dry skin and occasional skin problems from vasculitis or reactions to the meds used in treatment. Drug allergies often show up in skin rashes too and may get more serious unless the offending drug is stopped. Most people with Wegs don't have skin problems initially but most develop some within five years according to one study at last vasculitis conference.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shouldn't have any kidney damage from Wegs, and my blood tests were all fine from last Wed (next test in about 10 days). Maybe its just the suppressed immune system.. I have also noticed my skin starting to get dry in my hands.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my case it is the opposite (there is hope, guys):
    for years I had "allergy" in my skin, which prob was wg smoldering. pred and the other meds, made it disapear.
    wegeterian, you don't have to get more symptoms. you can get rid of some also.
    there is something even more amazing: when I was 17 yo I had strange arthritis, with strange sores on my legs. maybe it was already wg and I was in long remision without treatment. the amazing thing is, that there left some scars from that sores, and after getting rtx, they disappeared ! in fact, since I got rtx, my skin never lookes better for years.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pred can cause an 'acne' look also. Folic acid usually will take care of it.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I noticed my face swelled up a bit too - I think someone referred to it as chipmunk-cheeks here. Its not too bad actually, I mean in a way it looks friendlier (but perhaps in a bloated alcoholic kind of way). I also didn't use to have as much fat in my neck as I do now. On the brightside I had these nice sunglasses that I got as a gift in 1998 - my face was rounder back then and I haven't used them for years since they looked goofy on me. Now I find both my sunglasses look fairly OK on me - so thanks to Weg I have two sets of designer sunglasses I can use

My grandmother also said that if I had facial wrinkles the Pred would have straightened out those for me as it did to some friends of hers. Well, no use for that yet as I'm in my thirties. But who knows, maybe some day it will make straighten out some wrinkles for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been getting these spots on and off on my hands and a couple on my arms and legs. They just seem to come and go but I have noticed that when I am out in the sun for awhile or using hot water they seem to appear more. The first time I noticed them was when I went to my church to get a picture taken for their 175th annversary book. I had bought this purple old fahioned dress and as the night went on there were purple spots all over my legs,at first I thought is was from the dye in the dress until I googled wg rash and the picture was me. I went to my stupid e.r. drs. and said I had poison ivy and after aguring with them ,telling them to look to up like I did ,they still didn't believe me so I left and they eventally went away.But Don if I am only on Pred.does that mean they should up my dose,when all my numbers are coming back good? I go see my kidney doc Fri. I'll have to get more info from him.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast