Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ANCA range?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't understand what the values actually mean, and how some people have c-ANCA numbers as whole numbers and mine is a ratio (1:80) Can anyone explain this?
    thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started seven months ago where I was "tired of breathing".....busy days would wipe me out. This now has made it where most days wipe me out. My lungs have like a burning feeling that comes and goes and I have definite lung places that "ache" more one of them being where my ex pulmonologist thought he saw pneumonia but says it is all clear now (this is why he is now an ex team member).
    I have had a long history of sinus issues /allergies, but do not have pressure.
    No physical indications of blood or sores that I have seen. And then some joint issues. and sensitive to warm days and some throat area sensitivity.
    The last rheum. appt they retook the ANCA for comparison and also the urine sample because of some traces of blood.
    I've been being a "good" little patient and taking Nexium because someone thought it might help, but it does nothing....just running that trial .
    My next appt is not until the end of Sept when I see my new pulmonologist. -which I am "hoping" (not with great enthusiasm) that he will do the biopsy as the ENT decided since I do not have active sinus issues, would not be the best kind of biopsy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debhaz22 View Post
    I just don't understand what the values actually mean, and how some people have c-ANCA numbers as whole numbers and mine is a ratio (1:80) Can anyone explain this?
    thanks!
    It's no wonder I feel half crazy, half the time....

My ANCA is a decimal number, but I know my ANA is also up and it is 1:80.
    I wonder if there is some ratio conversion like I did in 6th grade 1/80=x/100. Cross multiply and divide would give you something like 1.25?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsyartist View Post
    It's no wonder I feel half crazy, half the time....

My ANCA is a decimal number, but I know my ANA is also up and it is 1:80.
    I wonder if there is some ratio conversion like I did in 6th grade 1/80=x/100. Cross multiply and divide would give you something like 1.25?
    I don't remember ever being taught that...if I was I didn't get it then either !!! I don't think I've ever been tested for ANA,what evr that one is for, is that important ? If so I have to talk top my reumt about this.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I have an article, and I copy from it the important things about anca:

The presence of ANCA is the most important serological test in the diagnosis of
    vasculitis. There are two main patterns of ANCA: cytoplasmic (C) and perinuclear
    (P). These are defined by their appearance on indirect immunofluorescence using
    ethanol fixed neutrophils.
    There are two types of antigens: Serine protease (Proteinase 3) and myeloperoxidase (MPO). Infection releases these antigens and autoantibody formation is stimulated.

Perinuclear-ANCA seems to be associated with renal disease. The main target
    antigen of c-ANCA is proteinase 3 (PR3).

a negative ANCA assay does not exclude the possibility of vasculitis as there are a few cases of small vessel vasculitides that are ANCA negative.In these cases a tissue diagnosis of any suspicious lesion may be helpful for a definitive diagnosis.

Besides diagnostic screening, the ANCA assay is of value in monitoring the activity of WG, since it correlates well with the disease activity and intercurrent infections do not result in elevation of ANCA levels in WG. It is quite useful in monitoring treatment response.

ANCA titres also increase prior to clinical relapses.

In my case there is a very exact correlation between C-anca & PR3 and the activity of WG.
    I think the numbers are different in different countries. here it is a ratio: for C-anca: 1:20 is positive and above: 1:40, 1:160 etc. (it is a "mathematical series" I am not sure exactly about it).
    here PR3 - above 20 is positive. I had for years PR3 between 70 to 40. only after RTX it became negative.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    I don't remember ever being taught that...if I was I didn't get it then either !!! I don't think I've ever been tested for ANA,what evr that one is for, is that important ? If so I have to talk top my reumt about this.
    ANA is a test for other Autoimmune conditions......in my case, was for mixed connective tissue disease and also Lupus.
    It is not important for WG

My ANCA was 150 and then 100 - how does this work. Should we just change it to 1.5 and 1.0 ??
    Different testing ways for different Countries
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michelle& Alysia
    Thanks for the info. I have been online and even in the Merck manuals trying to wade through the bloodwork/symptoms.
    I thought the ANA was reflecting the positive ANCA....but it sounds like I might be dealing with some Lupus factors ( My mom was diagnosed Lupus at age 60)
    It seems lupus medication and WG medication overlap?

Now all I have to do is get my Dr.s on board.
    -J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woodsy, I have both plus Rheumatoid arthritis. They call it mixed connective tissue disease.
    I take one more tablet than is the normal for WG people, called plaquenil however, many people with Lupus and also RA are on the exact same meds as people with WG. It all has to do with the immune system attacking some part of the body or organs and therefore, the treatment is the same.

I hope the doc's can figure it out soon.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good info! So what does it mean that I have a positive c-ANCA but negative PR3? (If anyone knows...)
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea how this all works. It seems different labs report different numbers. I've read many threads about people's ANCA levels and I was confused because mine are different.
    Kaiser (the wonderful place that they are) says the PR-3 anything above 0.9 is elevated and their max on the chart is 8.0. Mine in June was >8.0 and considered "off the charts" that that point. So I read the tests as the normal range is <0.9. I had to think back to the ol days of my math classes with the little alligator mouths.
    So my most recent was 6.9. Whatever the heck that means ......................
    I did one on Friday and those results are not in yet. Stay tuned!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast