Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accepting Wegener's at 19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Accepting Wegener's at 19

Hi my name is Catie. I was diagnosed with Wegeners in May of 2013. I have been sick since sixth grade. It all started with a pseudo tumor in the orbit of my eye. I was put on high doses of steroids and after months went into remission. I was completely fine until my sophomore year of high school. I got the flu and for some reason couldn't shake it. I was exhausted all the time. Months went by and I was still exhausted. I started to get really bad joint pain. Months and months went by and this became my new "normal." I was barely making it through high school. The doctor told me I had Valley Fever, so he gave us the meds but the next day I was completely back to normal. Summer was coming and throughout the whole summer I was my self again. My second day of Junior year I got sick again. All of my symptoms came back. We kept going back to the doctor but he only kept telling me that I was depressed and had an eating disorder. We couldn't get a referral because he had to sign off on it and he was sure I was depressed. We finally went to a doctor my teacher recommended to us and he ran some tests. My kidneys were failing. So I was then diagnosed with kidney disease. I began to accept I was never going to have a "normal" life. I eventually graduated from high school and moved to Rochester for College. After my freshman year of college I got pneumonia. I started coughing up blood and my symptoms started to get worse and worse. They began to suspect I had Wegener's so they did a biopsy on my kidneys. I was hospitalized and given IV pred. I am currently doing chemo and high high doses of steroids. I had to move back home to Arizona because the chemo started to get so bad. I still have a hard time accepting I am sick. I am nineteen and I feel so old. I am worried about the treatment I am getting because I know cytoxan can affect you fertility. I love kids, I am a nanny and am studying to become a teacher. Being sick isn't easy and nobody understands unless you are going through it yourself. Someday I feel positive and others I want to shut down. I hope one day I was have a "normal" life and be able to live my age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Catie.
    I am so sorry that you have to face this at such a young age. I am 33 and recently diagnosed. I'm not in the advance stage that you are but I feel for you. There is a hard balance of trying to go through the emotions but try to find the new normal and live. I also have very bad days and then I have good days both mentally and physically.
    You'll find you are in the best place you could possibly be as far as support goes. This place is amazing. Everyone is affected by Weg's in so many different ways. We are kind of like snowflakes, no two stories are exactly alike. But, we are all Weggie's and we are all in this together.
    I hate that you have to be going through this but I am glad you found us!!

Take care, love, I hope you have better days ahead.
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catie, I'm glad you're here, too. You have been through the hardest part - those years of misdiagosis & undertreatment. You must be reeling, understandably. There is a lot to grieve, but try not to borrow tomorrow's troubles to use today <3 Dealing with stress in a healthy way is such an important tool for a weggie to use. I do hope you are being seen by an experienced (in weg's) rheumy. - treatment protocols can be different in younger patients. Write here ofyen; it helps. <3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Catie,
    I am impressed and happy for you to have found this forum and pleased that you are brave enough to post about your condition. Acceptance that you find yourself here must be very difficult indeed. As you look on the many individuals that are members, you will see several that are not unlike you. My own daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's at 14, and later with GPA (Wegener's) at the age of 20. She never joined a support group (to my disappointment) but has been able to accept her chronic disease and move on to a productive and happy existance. She is now 27, in remission and working full time. Hard to believe because not too long ago she was very, very sick. She too has bad days and good ones. She has learned to rest a bit on the bad ones...On the good one's, oh my! She lives life fully! I am proud

I hope you will find support here, learn ways to manage your condition in a manner that suits you and find you are not at all alone. That you are from Arizona is a good thing...the Mayo Clinic has a hospital in Scottsdale. There is a member on this site that has used that hospital, and he might be able to give you guidance or support.

I really like what NikkiNicole had to say above. You will find that you can find a 'new normal' now you know what you are dealing with. Best wishes to you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!! I am really happy to hear you daughter can like a full life. I am constantly worried about weather or not I will be able to work or finish school, have kids, and much more. If you don't mind sharing. What kind of treatment did you daughter get. I am on high doses of pred and cytoxan. I am really worried about the cytoxan when it comes to fertility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum, Catie. You will now feel that you are not alone with this disease and there are plenty of people to talk to for info and support. I'm glad you find the comments already made encouraging. And I do believe that women who have taken Cytoxan have gone on to have children. I remember some threads where that was mentioned. You might try some searches in the archives.

Best of luck with your treatment and getting back to a state that is close to normal. Keep us posted.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So sorry to hear about your troubles. Glad you found this place though, at least I feel I've received a ton of helpful info here.

How long have you been on pred and cytoxan? have they helped your symptoms?
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwetter View Post
    Hi my name is Catie. I was diagnosed with Wegeners in May of 2013. I have been sick since sixth grade. It all started with a pseudo tumor in the orbit of my eye. I was put on high doses of steroids and after months went into remission. I was completely fine until my sophomore year of high school. I got the flu and for some reason couldn't shake it. I was exhausted all the time. Months went by and I was still exhausted. I started to get really bad joint pain. Months and months went by and this became my new "normal." I was barely making it through high school. The doctor told me I had Valley Fever, so he gave us the meds but the next day I was completely back to normal. Summer was coming and throughout the whole summer I was my self again. My second day of Junior year I got sick again. All of my symptoms came back. We kept going back to the doctor but he only kept telling me that I was depressed and had an eating disorder. We couldn't get a referral because he had to sign off on it and he was sure I was depressed. We finally went to a doctor my teacher recommended to us and he ran some tests. My kidneys were failing. So I was then diagnosed with kidney disease. I began to accept I was never going to have a "normal" life. I eventually graduated from high school and moved to Rochester for College. After my freshman year of college I got pneumonia. I started coughing up blood and my symptoms started to get worse and worse. They began to suspect I had Wegener's so they did a biopsy on my kidneys. I was hospitalized and given IV pred. I am currently doing chemo and high high doses of steroids. I had to move back home to Arizona because the chemo started to get so bad. I still have a hard time accepting I am sick. I am nineteen and I feel so old. I am worried about the treatment I am getting because I know cytoxan can affect you fertility. I love kids, I am a nanny and am studying to become a teacher. Being sick isn't easy and nobody understands unless you are going through it yourself. Someday I feel positive and others I want to shut down. I hope one day I was have a "normal" life and be able to live my age.
    Well written and nice intro. Sorry you need to be here but this is the best resource to help you deal with your feelings besides a personal therapist which many of us found very helpful. It is hard to get your mind around and adjust to all the changes in your life that Wegs create for most of us. But like a fellow Weggie told me when I was diagnosed and feeling down: "If you survive the treatment, things do tend to get better!"
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Catie,
    my heart is going out to you, so young and already going through so much hard times...
    can you ask your doc about getting rituximab (rtx, rituxan. also called Mabthera) instead of ctx?
    my doc said that with young weggies they prefer rtx then ctx.
    it is very helpful and the side effects are less difficult.
    you are not alone, we are with you. the amazing people here helps so much with info and support.
    just continue writing everything.
    if you have to be a weggie, at least you have warm weggie family here
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Catie and welcome.

I second what everyone above has said.

I hate the fact that people so young can get this sucky disease - it's bad enough for us older ones.
    I would hate for my own daughters to deal with WG.......I'm glad it chose me and not one of them

Take care and .........
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast