Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Threads opening as blank pages

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Threads opening as blank pages

Anyone else have issues being unable to open a thread? Many of the threads won't open for me at all, I just get a blank page. The weird thing is that if I log out of the forum or use another browser then I will be able to open it correctly and read all the posts. The downside is of course that there is no way for me to reply in one of those threads without being logged in. I had a thread in the New Member Introductions and could read and post in it fine, but the last few days it too will open as a blank page for me. I tried using two different computers and different browsers but get the same result, so I'd say it must be an issue with the forum and not on my computer.

I also PM'd the admin about it, but haven't received a reply yet.

Did a quick google and found this about the blank pages in their manual, but dunno if its of any help for the technical staff
    vBulletin Manual

BTW when I type in vbulletin 4.1.12 into google most of the hits seem to be about exploits of that version. Guess 5.0 or 4.2 would be newer. I sure hope forum backups are in order...
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have that problem - however I can no longer access the page from Internet Explorer - I just get a message saying that requested website does not exist.

I can still access it via Google Chrome.

Very strange
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get it quite frequently - I am using IE9. I have just learned to live with the frustration!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi Wegetarian
    I'm the Admin and technical staff and we're having a bad week or three so I'll take another look at the blank pages issue when I'm back in the swing. Thanks for your messages though. I'll use you as a 'guinea pig' when I'm tinkering around under the hood

As for the version issue. I've attempted an upgrade on a few occasions but hit technical difficulties half way through the install. An upgrade is high on the list though!
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Andrew! Thanks for the reply. I'd love to help and I'm quite IT savvy but haven't been tinkering with any forum software. Just let me know when your schedule allows and if possible we could do some screen sharing to make it easier to find the issue. I'd suggest either Teamviewer or Skype, both are free for personal use. I have ample time now that I'm on vacation.

I can understand updating will be a pain. I notice you have some customizations on the forums too which might be causing issues and make it harder to upgrade.

Edit: I think I found a work-around for posting in blank threads. I opened a thread without being logged in and pressed the quote button. The software asked me to log in and I was taken to the post writing screen and could successfully reply. Once I posted the reply the thread was blank again, but I could see that my post was saved if I logged out and opened the thread again.
    Last edited by Wegetarian; 08-26-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, Wegetarian,

I had a similar problem. It seemed to be caused by setting more than 20 posts per thread. To see if this works for you, click on Settings at the top right of the home page, select General Settings, and then scroll down and select 20 Posts per Thread. Hope it works for you.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hey, Wegetarian,

I had a similar problem. It seemed to be caused by setting more than 20 posts per thread. To see if this works for you, click on Settings at the top right of the home page, select General Settings, and then scroll down and select 20 Posts per Thread. Hope it works for you.
    Thanks Pete! I had my changed to 100 posts I think, these seems to have helped a lot. At least I can open many threads I couldn't before and I don't remember seeing a blank thread for several days.