User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Timeout is Over, back In the Sandbox!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yack away Sangye! We missed you
    Lisa

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    REALLY???? Omigosh, I had no idea. I'm new to this whole "abbreviate every stupid thing we say" thing. I'm not gonna use it anymore--I mean if it's commonly used as something bad (and I gotta say, I can't figure out what that would be) then someone new on here might get the wrong impression about us. Like we're gangsters with Wegs or something.
    Google the Urban Dictionary for any current abbreviations used among texters and YouTubers, and you will learn the meanings. Oops! In fact, Google the abbreviation itself, and the returned pages will give you more than enough of the sense of the breadth of meaning and the color (beige through dark blue....) of meaning these annoying abbreviations have.

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RCOSSIO View Post
    LMAO=Sangye

LMAO = laughing my xxxx off!

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    LOL--okay I know what THAT means!

Even with your clues, Luce, I couldn't figure out what that stands for. So I finally googled it and wouldn't you know, it showed up on Yahoo answers! It's awful. I actually might go back and delete my post. I mean, I'm cracking up laughing, but you know.

Here is an example of why these abbreviations are tedious: lol, as defined in the Urban Dictionary (the author of which probably has my abhorrence for these texting and YouTube abbreviations- read with caution):

lol 16597 up, 1346 downIt's original definition was "Laughing out loud" (also written occasionally as "Lots of Laughs"), used as a brief acronym to denote great amusement in chat conversations.

Now, it is overused to the point where nobody laughs out loud when they say it. In fact, they probably don't even give a **** about what you just wrote. More accurately, the acronym "lol" should be redefined as "Lack of laughter."

Depending on the chatter, its definition may vary. The list of its meanings includes, but is not limited to:
    1) "I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this conversation."
    2) "I'm too lazy to read what you just wrote so I'm typing something useless in hopes that you'll think I'm still paying attention."
    3) "Your statement lacks even the vaguest trace of humor but I'll pretend I'm amused."
    4) "This is a pointless acronym I'm sticking in my sentence just because it's become so engraved into my mind that when chatting, I MUST use the meaningless sentence-filler 'lol.'"

See: lmao, lmfao, rofl, lawl, heh, haha, lolol, and 120 for similarities.
    Statement: Sorry if I'm not too cheery, my best friend just died yesterday.
    Worthless Reply: lol

Statement: The golden ratio is truely an intersting aspect of not only mathematics, but art as well.

Statement: ... And then he says, "Your mom goes to college!"

Statement: Hey, are you doing anything tonight? You could come over to my house and play some Unreal Tournie...
    Worthless Reply: lol, ok
    get this def on a mug
    by no_one_2000 Aug 10, 2005 share this
    lol images Lol. 1of 9 2. lol 1949 up, 557 downlol - originally meant "laughing out loud", but now is the most common expression in any text conversation, just used instead of HAHA or any giggle or something like that. Also used all the time when there's nothing else to say... LOL key should be added to a standard keyboard.
    AiMDuMaSs1:I ripped a fart today in school
    aImdUmAsS2:lol
    get this def on a mug
    by lol dude Feb 22, 2005 share this
    3. lol 1143 up, 449 downIt stands for "laughing out loud." A slight irony to this definition is that generally people don't literally laugh out loud. That's reserved for other acronyms such as, but not limited to, LMMFAO, LMAO, ROTFLMAO, etc. Lol is most commonly used as a silence breaker, a reply to a joke that is SUPPOSED to be funny but really isn't, or an answer to an uncomfortable or random statement that one couldn't think of a better response to.
    Example 1:
    Person 1: Hi
    Person 2: Hey
    Person 1: umm..
    Person 2: uh.....
    Person 1: lol

Example 2:
    Person 1: I like to pick my nose and then massage the boogers on my anal orifice
    Person 2: lol

Example 3:
    Person 1: I got fired from my job today, got dumped, contracted HIV, lost an eye, got caught xxxxxxxxxing in the elementary school parking lot then shot the cop who tried to arrest me
    Person 2: lol
    get this def on a mug
    what am i a thesaurus?
    by EXPLIZIT Oct 10, 2005 share this

4. lol 2023 up, 1495 down1. Computer slang for "Laughing out Loud"
    2. A phrase meaning to laugh. Mostly used by n00bs

See also: lmao, stfu
    1. That Rick Hollern is so gay, lol.
    2. lol!
    get this def on a mug
    by Crazy Man Dec 23, 2003 share this
    5. lol 780 up, 299 downOriginally meant "laughing out loud" but is now so overused that it now means "I find that vaguely amusing" also a filler word now when there is a puse in the conversation or the person is lost for a response, or they are too stupid or lazy to think of one.
    A: I'm probably gonna kill myself tonight...
    B: lol
    get this def on a mug
    rofl lmao roflmao stupid response lmbao
    by philanthropic arsonist Nov 15, 2005 share this
    6. lol 786 up, 442 downA term commonly used on the internet when you're not really paying attention, or have nothing to say.
    Person: Man, my grandma died today. I'm totally bummed.
    Me: lol

Person: Today was boring.
    *10 minutes later*
    Me: Lol.
    get this def on a mug
    by Redux Aug 21, 2005 share this
    7. lol 294 up, 178 downOriginally found in Sumerian Tax Logs to define overdue fees (Late on Lamp Oil, some experts believe), this phrase has evolved through time. Shakespeare shunned the abbreviation, finding it impossible to rhyme with. Thoreau punched Jim Bowie in a local tavern for carving it on the table with his special knife, but Lincoln ad-libbed it in the original Gettysburg address during an uncomfortable moment in the Monologue. It meant "Laughing On Line" during the internet craze of the late 20th century, but now has been reduced to a response to the dull person you are texting to out of politeness rather than the one you are actually engaged in a conversation with, if you can call it that.
    Sumerian Tax Log: Entry-2 dribs of Lamp Oil, payment 2days past due- LOL (usually required lopping off of something).
    Shakespeare's feeble attempt; Mehears the lady LOL, mehopes not at mine nether hole.
    Lincoln:Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.(uncomfortable shifting in crowd of living-dead did not shift hopefully)LOL, I meant equal as in, ya know, separate but equal, ya know, LOL, wait till you see my new bathroom signs. (Crowd relaxes) Ok, did I mention there's a new dee-luxe horse and buggy in the lot for y'all who came out today?(big whoop from crowd).
    Justin text:RU still there?
    Kimberly:LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then again doug you could just ignore it.(lol).sorry doug couldn't resist.
    john.

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    then again doug you could just ignore it.(lol).sorry doug couldn't resist.
    john.

LMAO = laughing my xxxx off! That's OK. Lisa Coffeelover thought I was a preacher until I told her the tragic truth: I was a quality analyst. Plugging away at numbers tends to make one a bit literal, perhaps one reason I let it rip when I am liberated from them. "LIR" "QUANAL" "BITLIT" "RIPIT"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Summer, I moved your question here: http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...ing-flare.html

Shannon: moved your warning here: http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...ring-loss.html

It'll make them easier for people to find
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks
    Summer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123