Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2 More Questions Re Prednisone Dosage:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2 More Questions Re Prednisone Dosage:

1. Does one have to be more careful "going up" (taking more) than coming down (or vice-versa)?

2. Have you reduced/increased by 5mg's at a time with no effects that you know of?

For the life of me I couldn't convince my doc's nurse to give me 1mg tabs. She said dosage changes at 5mg's difference would be okay. Of course I can still do what I want with the new 5mg prescription they're going to write for me. I just gave in and said that was fine.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=TOBEY32;71395]1. Does one have to be more careful "going up" (taking more) than coming down (or vice-versa)?
    - If you're going up, I wouldn't be worried about the pred! Going down seems to vary for people after 15mg, but it can bring back symptoms quickly if done too fast.

2. Have you reduced/increased by 5mg's at a time with no effects that you know of?
    - Down to 15mg, I did it by fives...no obvious effects.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what Don is saying is that at any dose above 15mg., going down by 5mg at a time is no big deal. But below 15mg., going down by 5mg at a time can be problematical for many people. Since I had trouble going from 15mg. to 10mg. with a reduction of 2.5mg at a time, I would definitely be afraid to go from 10mg. to 5mg. all at once. I have to wonder how much your doc and nurse know about Wegs and long term prednisone use. If my doc tries to pull that on me I will not stand for it. You can always go ahead and try it and see what happens, and maybe they will learn something from it. Or you can try cutting those pills into 4ths..... that might work. Good luck.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011