Likes Likes:  0

Thread: service training for dogs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default service training for dogs

I have a 2 year old Doberman Shepperd who is very fast to learn and I really want to get her trained as a service dog for my family. We almost all have one AI or another and are losing hearing. I am positive she could do the class but have no idea where to even begin looking for help in getting her trained. Dose anyone know what I could do? I am in college and really do not have a lot of money.
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea hun. I'm sorry. Have you asked your friends and professors and such and other people around college? I know a lady here that has one but she got if from a company in Ontario somewhere that specializes in service dogs for the deaf and blind. She said they have to specially train the dog from a very early age, then you go down there for a few months to work with them doing the training so the dog gets to know you.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try asking the SPCA in your area, or perhaps call a vets office?
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rini.
    you looks very nice in your new avatar.
    maybe you can use internet manual and "do it yourself". like this one: How to Train Your Service Dog Without a Professional Trainer
    just today there was in the news here a story: a man was running with his dog and then fell and fainted. the dog was running around until he found some people over there, and he was burking so they came and found the man and invited an ambulance. the paramedic said that the dog didnt move from his owner all that time.
    I have only cats, but one of them (already deceased) was sitting near my little son whenever my son was having fever (which happened a lot when he was small). once, the blanket covered my sons face, so our cat removed it.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is amazing how our pets can be so wise about our health.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a Petsmart in your area, they do 'group' training, basic for the most part, but it's pretty cheap that way and your pup not only get training, but socialization too. Just a thought.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great pic. Let us know how the training goes.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your new pic, Rini! We have a Petsmart here and I've seen what Don is talking about when I go in there to buy cat food. I also have heard of a "therapy dog" training program here in my town, and the dogs' owners, once having completed the program, take the dogs into hospitals to help cheer up the patients and assist in their healing that way. I believe it is on a volunteer basis. As for other types of service dogs, I don't know, but the bigger the community you live in, the more chance there'd be programs or info available. I'd search the internet, for one thing.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    I have a 2 year old Doberman Shepperd who is very fast to learn and I really want to get her trained as a service dog for my family. We almost all have one AI or another and are losing hearing. I am positive she could do the class but have no idea where to even begin looking for help in getting her trained. Dose anyone know what I could do? I am in college and really do not have a lot of money.
    35 years ago I started training service dogs for the deaf in San Francisco. The project was great. It took dog from the local pound, put them through obedience and if they did well and passed attention to noise they could continue in the program if not they unfortunately had to go back to the pound. There is a group clled Hearing Dogs for the Deaf and they are all over America now. It is a wonderful program.
    My blog: Animo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    There are several different types of service dogs. What kind of service are you considering? It sounds like you might be thinking for hearing impaired. If so, organizations that focus on helping people with hearing loss might be good resource. In our area the Lions Service clubs often do this and may be helping support some such training program. Ask some one who has such a service dog about where their dog was trained.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!