Thread: Stress

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stress

Hi Guys

medics have told me that stress is not a contributing factor to GPA (WG). I'm not so sure. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of us seem to start symptoms with Sinuses. It would be interesting to know how many of us had Tonsils/Adenoids removed previous to onset of WG and could this be a link n the chain of symptoms?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reetsky View Post
    Hi Guys

medics have told me that stress is not a contributing factor to GPA (WG). I'm not so sure. What do you think?
    I would say that is a bunch of BS and they don't know what they are talking about! Just watch, during your recovery, you will find that any extra stress will almost always increase your symptoms and you will feel worse. At least that is the case with me. And I also believe stress can be a trigger in getting GPA in the first place, along with other triggers, perhaps.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of us seem to start symptoms with Sinuses. It would be interesting to know how many of us had Tonsils/Adenoids removed previous to onset of WG and could this be a link n the chain of symptoms?
    I never had my tonsils or adenoids removed. My sister did, and does have some of the same symptoms I had before being diagnosed.... just not as severe or pervasive, but enough to concern her that she could get WG. I have, of course, told her it is not likely.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still have my tonsils and adenoids...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Guys

I think the consensus among most patients and doctors is that stress is a contributing factor to most things including Wegs.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My weg expert at Mayo said my years of sinus and ear problems probably set me up for Wegs or contributed to me getting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm puzzled. Most of us seem to have evolved this illness from the sinuses/ears. Surely research is being carried out to follow the trail from ENT to GPA? I've had two sinus ops, couple of burst eardrums through infection, numerous chest infections and asthma. Sorry if I sound naive but I am trying to come to terms with what suddenly happened to me and why doctors are so ignorant of this potential killer that they don't even consider it when faced with symptoms. I know it's classed as rare but from what I see there seems to be more and more sufferers. Could this be because doctors lack knowledge of GPA (WG)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe stress to be the biggest factor for me.

I had a serious car accident, and then the week my father died, a routine mammogram found lumps in both breasts that needed a biopsy. Three things all piled into one big stress load........is what I believe set it off for me (the night of my fathers funeral).

I also suffered from ear infections and tonsilitis most of my childhood, and then sinusitis in my early adulthood - but I did not have my tonsils or adenoids removed.

My ENT's theory is that it attacks the place that is the weakest or the place that the immune system has always worked hard to fight infections on - therefore as I/we have ear, throat and sinus infections in early years, this is where WG has taken hold - on the vulnerable area.
    With this theory in mind, I wonder if the lungs are attacked with people who always suffered chest infections or bad colds when younger, and with kidney's, did it attack people who suffered from UTI's in earlier years.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    I believe stress to be the biggest factor for me.

I had a serious car accident, and then the week my father died, a routine mammogram found lumps in both breasts that needed a biopsy. Three things all piled into one big stress load........is what I believe set it off for me (the night of my fathers funeral).

I also suffered from ear infections and tonsilitis most of my childhood, and then sinusitis in my early adulthood - but I did not have my tonsils or adenoids removed.

My ENT's theory is that it attacks the place that is the weakest or the place that the immune system has always worked hard to fight infections on - therefore as I/we have ear, throat and sinus infections in early years, this is where WG has taken hold - on the vulnerable area.
    With this theory in mind, I wonder if the lungs are attacked with people who always suffered chest infections or bad colds when younger, and with kidney's, did it attack people who suffered from UTI's in earlier years.
    Interesting theory and it makes intuitive sense. My Wegs attacked all three because i have had issues in those three places before Wegs, with sinus problems, ear infections, kidney damage, and lots of bronchitis in my history.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast