Thread: Talking to my mom...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Talking to my mom...

Hey guys

My GF suggested I ask you all about this since lots of you have probably had experience with it. My mom is 56 and hasn't had a checkup in several years. Anytime we try to approach her about it she just shrugs it off or says she'll get around to it eventually. She's had a persistent cough going on a few years now, and while it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, it's also not getting better. There's also a history of cancer in her family (two of her siblings died this year). What's a good way to convince her to go? I think trying to force it would just complicate things, but she really needs to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the same boat with my parents. They are very stubborn as well. I have had no success either.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll need to think on this one

I know I was exactly the same and never wanted to go to the doctors.
    I finally ended up going, basically to shut my husband up about it
    - and look how that turned out.

Maybe that's it - continued nagging
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father was the same way. He had a spot on his face and for as long as I could remember,my mother always was asking him to get it checked...well when he finally did ,it was malenoma that had spread thoughout his body and he died not long after. Just tell her you love her and don't want what happened to her siblings happen to her and that you want her around for a long time. And keep after her.
    But I can't blame her my mother and I are always going to some sort of dr. and my 3 siblings never go and they are healthier than us....go fiqure. Good luck,I hope she goes since cancer does run in the family
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !