Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are You?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How are You?

It is what everyone asks when they meet you and I never knew what to answer so I used to say that I was OK. The trouble with that was that I lived away from most of my relatives and only ever tended to see them when I was having a good day. I was also pumped up with the steroid induced fat and healthy look so they mainly thought that I was indeed OK and did not understand some of the problems I spoke of.
    I decided to change all that and when asked how I was, I started to tell the truth - not very well at all! At about the same time, my walking problems became more acute and I started to lose a lot of weight so I did not look great either. But now, I've decided to change my answer again. I think people must be getting sick of me saying that I'm not well when they ask, especially now that it is more obvious. So I'm going back to the smile and the "I'm OK" reply.
    Last edited by Jack; 07-06-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know exactly what you mean jack.i too started to give an honest answer at one point but when i kept seeing the "god i'm sorry i asked" expression i reverted back to "yeh i'm ok",which was the answer they wanted to hear anyway.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jack

I find it easier to say, I am fine thanks as, as crackers says that is what most people want to hear any way. I found if you go into any sort of detail people start to avoid you. I rarely tell my family how I feel, unless it is urgent, because A, I do not want to worry them and B, I think they would get fed up hearing about it after a while.

I find I like to keep life simple, so I just say "I am fine thanks."

Look after your self

Derek

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Hi Jack

I find it easier to say, I am fine thanks as, as crackers says that is what most people want to hear any way. I found if you go into any sort of detail people start to avoid you. I rarely tell my family how I feel, unless it is urgent, because A, I do not want to worry them and B, I think they would get fed up hearing about it after a while.

I find I like to keep life simple, so I just say "I am fine thanks."

Look after your self

Derek
    "How are you?!" "Fine! And how are you!?" It took me a long time to adjust from early concern for how I was to the realization that the most of people were carrying on social custom, not asking for the doctor's report. I've not completely broke myself of the habit of saying, "Not bad, for someone with a fatal, chronic disease!" Ha! The reaction to that reminds me that my physical appearance at this point doesn't support that response, however true in the long term. Plus, I do feel pretty good in my current "new normal".
    Last edited by Doug; 07-09-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I just say "pretty good thanks but that stupid rash is back". Then I offer to shake their hand. Amazing how many people take me seriously.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about (while coughing up a spleen) "Well, I'm a little stressed out. You know how it is--waiting for the tb test to come back and all?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask me the question today and I can honestly say, "quite good!"
    I suppose that by most normal standards, I'm still a bit of a mess, but for the past few days I've been feeling quite well. I can hobble along at an increased pace and have even managed to finish a couple of meals (yes, I know everyone else on here can't stop eating! ).
    Thought it was worth posting a bit of good news for a change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's great to see, Jack. Good news is always welcome. May your good news continue!
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice one jack.good news is always welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so happy for you, Jack. Glad you're eating better, too. Can I interest you in a deep-fried Mars bar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast