Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Country Doctor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Country Doctor

I have been to at least 8 different hospitals all over Spain and to many clinics. The best doctor I ever had was my local country doctor. He is of the old school and so now is only allowed to substitute the young doctors. He always new what to do and say. He always took samples and ran regular blood tests. While I was traveling to different hospitals being biopsied,scanned micro waved etc he was a t home trying to figure out what I had, and he did. He first found the Rhodatarula, that got all of the medical world even in America all excited, then they just dropped me like a hot potato and said my kidneys had been damaged and my heart would be soon. My Country Doctor, DR. Gallindo, kept working on it and then it was also Dr..Gallindo that discovered my Wegener's and not only that but he knew quite a bit about it. I have had great doctors and nurses but no one like Dr. Gallindo. We he was forced to leave the clinic for an new young doctor I got a petition signed by over 800 people and that is about the size of my town. It didn't work. The rest of my town is spread out over 17 kilometers of beach but they have a different clinic. He gave me his private number for when I really need help.This doctor in his small old fashion lab found both the rhodotorula and the -WG, when they were unable to do so in hospitals with every facility available to them.
    Last edited by Barbara N; 07-30-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    My blog: Animo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Barbara! I think it's wonderfull that you have such a loyal 'country doctor', and that you can call him when you need his help. You mentioned the 'Rhodatarula' earlier. I never heard of it, and searched the internet. Probably you mean 'Rhodotorula'? I found the following article on this subject... Risk of Fungemia Due to Rhodotorula and Antifungal Susceptibility Testing of Rhodotorula Isolates I wish you a lot of succes in the search for a treatment that will make you feel better. Maybe Rituxan can do the trick for you too, as it did for quite a few others on this forum, as you know.
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisTIn@ View Post
    Hi Barbara! I think it's wonderfull that you have such a loyal 'country doctor', and that you can call him when you need his help. You mentioned the 'Rhodatarula' earlier. I never heard of it, and searched the internet. Probably you mean 'Rhodotorula'? I found the following article on this subject... Risk of Fungemia Due to Rhodotorula and Antifungal Susceptibility Testing of Rhodotorula Isolates I wish you a lot of succes in the search for a treatment that will make you feel better. Maybe Rituxan can do the trick for you too, as it did for quite a few others on this forum, as you know.
    You were right on the spelling. It is a fungus in the blood that you get in the hospital from an infected IV tube. It is very slow and hard to find. It destroys your kidneys and then later the heart. My treatment was pretty much the same as it is for WG. But my doctor is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisTIn@ View Post

Where do you find all of this stuff Chris, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Know more than they know

We have found out living here in Spain and probably every where you need to be just one step a head of the doctors., because if it is not their specialty, they don't have time to be interested. You need to know just that wee bit more than they do and go prepared. sometimes you get a great doctor who has a lot of interest in your disease but most of the don't have the time. Here in Spain on the -Social security you get 7 minutes with your doctor, that isn't enough time to say" drop your drawers and cough" Most of them do take more time with you that is why there is always a cue. Except for my country doctor and a great ophthalmologist in Madird, I have to be way ahead of my doctors to the point the in the last 3 years I have pretty much become my own doctor. I get advice from them but thenm is up to me. MY ASIGNED meDIC i HAD TO FIRE AND MAKE AN OFFICIAL COMPLAINT AGAINST HER FOR MAL CONTUCT and lots of other things. she is also the representative for Andalucia for rare diseases and she doesn't even want to more about my symptoms and wouldn't dream of touching me or even giving me a smile. This forum has been so helpful. I copy and translate the things I think would b of interest to my country doctor and he is really grateful. He doesn't really even use a computer any better than I do, just enough to fill out the forms. Everything is paperwork now; what happened to the patient>???¿¿¿ If you get a good doctor stick to them like glue because they are not easy to find.. so stay on top of it and thank you for sharing this info with the others, you never know who you might end yçu helping in the long run.