Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: swine flu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default swine flu

the government has just announced they expect 100,000 new cases a day of swine flu by the end of august.the few deaths from this so far have been people with "underlying health issues ".does this mean i have to go to the supermarket in a space suit or steer clear of large groups of people.i think we need to try and find out the implications for weggies where swine flu is concerned.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just had a quick look on the nhs website.it only really states the obvious that if your on immunosuppressants you're more at risk and to contact your doctor to possibly alter the dosage.think a chat with the gp is needed.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read about lowering your imunosuppressants too, but I'd rather risk swine flu than Wegener's! I think I'll just worry about it when the time comes if I have to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go along with you Jack, if I get the swine flu, hopefully it is the mild version, if not, well we all have to go sometime, perhaps it would be quicker than some of the alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always hesitate to mention dying on here, but that is exactly what I had in mind. I dread the idea that I might slowly degenerate into a real mess and think of things like heart attacks and flu as perhaps being the easy way out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as we are on the subject. MN had a child die of the flu and the media explained the death to it's audience something like this "The first MN death due to swine flu, BUT the victim had an underlying condition that made him/her more likely to contract the disease"
    In the back of my mind I was thinking I hope it wasn't a WEGGIE patient.
    LIsa

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the deaths in England (3 so far) have been of people suffering from "underlying health issues" including one with a suppressed immune system.

I'm not exactly at panic level but am getting a little concerned as reports of people contracting swine flu move closer to home.

Doug Guest

Reasonable precautions will get us through, I think. I have had flu shots in past, but failed to get one this year. There haven't been any cases in this end of the state yet. I do wash my hands frequently, avoid children as much as possible (frankly!- watch my video on YouTube dealing with infection control!), move myself out of the way of people who cough more than a time or two, stay out of hospitals when they post alerts, as well as stay out of care centers when they post alerts.

I am a bit like Jack in that I hope whatever takes me out- a truck I don't hear because I'm deaf on my right side, an infectious disease, some idiot with a grudge and a handgun (this is the USA!)- is fast and complete. I don't thi9nk it will be my WG!

I

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I don't thi9nk it will be my WG!
    Where did that "9" come from? Something to do with nine lives?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a difficult 24 hours with aching, temperature 39/102, fever, sweats and cough. I was really worried first thing this morning and the doctor arranged some Tamiflu for me (although I haven't actually taken any). This afternoon I feel much much better and can think straight again. I've had these sorts of 'lightening bugs' before and although it's not looking at all like 'flu any more it was a bit worrying. I suppose it's difficult not to get a bit panicky but worth remembering that even when we feel very vulnerable it's not a done deal. Scary, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast