Thread: Peripheral Thiining of Cornea & Vitreous Detachment

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Peripheral Thiining of Cornea & Vitreous Detachment

Hi all -- I've been off the grid for a while and have developed a number of eye conditions in my right eye). The first was in early May -- periorbital cellulitis. Three days of hospitalization and IV antiobiotics (w/picc line after coming home from hospital) for a couple of weeks total. About a week ago I started seeing "floaters" and on Monday went to a local opthamologist who diagnosed vitreous detachment AND peripheral thinning of the cornea. I couldn't find on our forum but learned quite a bit from the web. Has anyone had either of these issues? I'm heading back to my opthamologist in Richmond along with my rheumy on Monday (July 1). Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kathy,

Two years ago, I had a vitreous detachment in my left eye. It seemed like I had black paint spattered on my eye. I had no pain. My ophthalmologist did an emergency retinopexy (laser spot weld) which fixed the problem. The floaters went away within a couple of weeks. I've been fine since.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    Hi all -- I've been off the grid for a while and have developed a number of eye conditions in my right eye). The first was in early May -- periorbital cellulitis. Three days of hospitalization and IV antiobiotics (w/picc line after coming home from hospital) for a couple of weeks total. About a week ago I started seeing "floaters" and on Monday went to a local opthamologist who diagnosed vitreous detachment AND peripheral thinning of the cornea. I couldn't find on our forum but learned quite a bit from the web. Has anyone had either of these issues? I'm heading back to my opthamologist in Richmond along with my rheumy on Monday (July 1). Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated!

KB
    I had laser treatment years ago for vitreous detachment in one eye. This was long before I was diagnosed with Wegs. It was attributed to my extreme near nearsightedness, aging, diabetes, and maybe my glaucoma but can't remember if that had been diagnosed at that time. I have had excessive floaters for many years. Some times they seem like objects coming at me so I flinch or used to even duck but after awhile I learned to mostly ignore them.

The laser weld does create a small blind spot that shows up on visual field tests.

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks DRZ and Pete! I'm heading to Richmond in the morning and hope to collect more info on my eye. It may be the long-term prednisone is taking its toll. Won't know any more until tomorrow but am keeping a positive attitude! My best to you both!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kathy,I've wondered how you have been,sorry to hear about your eyes ,I hope they are able to fix things for you. I have to go to my opthamolagist on the 19th. I don't have "floaters" so I can't give you any info there,mine have just been bothering me and I've been getting headaches. Good Luck tommorrow and let us know what happens.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hi Kathy,

Two years ago, I had a vitreous detachment in my left eye. It seemed like I had black paint spattered on my eye. I had no pain. My ophthalmologist did an emergency retinopexy (laser spot weld) which fixed the problem. The floaters went away within a couple of weeks. I've been fine since.
    Pete, congrats on spelling ophthalmologist correctly. It is one of the hardest words to spell and most often misspelled. My mother was a stickler on spelling and grammar and I'm sure I would not know the correct spelling of this word if not for hearing her go on about it. Aside from that, I'm glad your eye problems are non-existent since the treatment you had, and I hope it continues!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011