Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Old remedy helping

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Old remedy helping

I have finally found something that is helping my chronic sinus problems and wheezing. Maybe it might help some of you. My last visit consisted of my favorite doctor apologizing because I have the type of respiratory problem that is the least understood and most resistant to meds.

Anyway...I felt a bit frustrated and decided to try an old timey treatment...a vaporizer. Amazingly, I have had more relief from this than all the prednisone, albuterol, symbicort, xopanex, singlulair, advair, singulair, zyrtek etc. etc. that I have been taking for the past 21 months! Just a plain old vicks personal vaporizer.
    Amazon.com: Vicks Personal Steam Inhaler: Health & Personal Care

I use the inhalant pads that are made to go with it. They have camphor in them. When the camphot runs out, I make each pad last a little longer by adding a drop or two of peppermint oil. Anyway...if you have respiratory issues and have never used one of these machines....it might be worth a try!

Hope you are all doing well. I think of you often and check in periodically to keep up with all my weggie friends.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, how are you feeling now Jacquie?

Are you still on all of the other medications or are things starting to clear up?
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes the old, simple remedies work best.

Good luck and better health!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacquie, I have one of these! I used to take it with me to the farmers market, when selling there all day, to provide relief and open things up so I could talk to customers. At home, I prefer to use an open bowl of steaming water with some peppermint leaves added. Other herbs can be used.... eucalyptus, for example. I found it VERY helpful when things were a lot worse for me. It would open up both my upper and lower respiratory tracts. It loosened up the nasal stuff so my nasal rinse would be more productive. When I was in the hospital overnight just before dx, I was very crabby because I didn't have access to it, although they did have me on nebulizers and such. Now, I really don't use it unless things get particularly crusty or clogged, which really isn't happening much because I'm so much better. But I'd highly recommend it, either in the open bowl form or the more portable personal vaporizer. Thanks, Jacquie!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Michelle, Pete and Anne,

Yes - sometimes the old remedies do work very well. Every medical provider I went to would listen to the terrible rattling in my lungs and tell me that albuterol and pulmacort would set me free. No matter that I told them it did little, if any good. I wonder if there are so many patients that ignore their doctor's prescriptions that they thought I was not taking it? I finally had one do a lung function before and after albuterol, and lo and behold...."you're right", said she,"it doesn't get any better". Well ...duh....

Anyway...I am still on symbicort twice a day, along with zyrtek and singular. But, I have added the vaporizer and that really seems to be doing the trick. I still am NEVER completely wheeze free....but SO much better than I was! I think the whole lung thing is damage done by post-nasal drip. So, if I can keep the sinuses cleared out, it should be much better. Probably never back to "normal" ... but very livable.

Glad to hear that you are doing much better with your sinuses Anne!

Thanks for the well wishes. Even if you don't hear from me for awhile - I DO check in on you guys about once a week to see how everyone is doing.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Jacquie! Better sinuses means a lot less coughing because of less stuff dripping into bronchial tubes. People have noticed I don't cough as much. Very nice!

I do believe a lot of doctors would just turn a deaf ear to a lot of home remedies, like the vaporizer, that actually work! The turkeys. And I have no doubt that doctors' prescriptions are not uncommonly ignored. Not saying that's good or that we should, just saying...

I'm sorry you are still going through the same stuff but glad that things seem a lot better, at least partly due to your discovery of the vaporizer. Good to know that you are checking up on us about once a week.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for sharing this, Jacquie. I just bought one from Amazon after reading this hoping it will help with my worsening sinus problems. Sometimes it's simple things that make all the difference.

Glad to hear you're doing well.
    Nothing can break you; you are much stronger than you think... look at what you've already survived.