0 Thread(s)

Lisa, what is Guaifenisin?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil, guaifenesin is the ingredient in Mucinex tablets and in the liquid expectorant cough syrups, also called "tussin". It comes from a tree bark. I mentioned it to you on Facebook once. I have found recently that the expectorant syrup works faster and better for bringing up mucus from the bronchii than do the tablets. However, the Mucinex tablets do come in a 12 hour time release formula and are also good to take. And I've just discovered that Lisa is right, there are artificial sweeteners and that kind of crap in the syrup, at least the commonly available brands. I'll bet there are versions available at places like Super Supplements that have natural ingredients and nothing artificial, but I'll also be they are quite a bit more expensive. Whatever form of guaifenesin you try, I've always heard you'll get better results if you drink lots of water.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found one natural brand and it tastes so bad I can't swallow it… I still take the kind with sugar as I feel like sugar can't be as bad as fake sugar chemicals. I have the mucinex too but never take it… I have so many pills to take every day I'm already picking and choosing between which supplements to take most days. After a certain number I start choking on pills. I'm sure some of you can relate… sigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
    I found one natural brand and it tastes so bad I can't swallow it… I still take the kind with sugar as I feel like sugar can't be as bad as fake sugar chemicals. I have the mucinex too but never take it… I have so many pills to take every day I'm already picking and choosing between which supplements to take most days. After a certain number I start choking on pills. I'm sure some of you can relate… sigh.
    I do know what you mean... I was taking the Mucinex time release for years but quit because it was costing me around $50 a month...can get the cheaper generics but they aren't time release, plus I, too, got sick of taking the big choking pills. i wouldn't mind the syrup with sugar but I saw the stuff from Rite Aid has aspartame or sucralose and high fructose corn syrup. I hate artificial sweeteners so will shop around and read labels a little better next time.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123