Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Little flare??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of luck Pete, hope it settles down soon.

Its interseting how a 'side issue' can stir the Wegs dog and then hopefully just as quickly settle it down.

A good friend of mine (who is off pred) takes between 20 and 30mg a day for 4 to 5 days and then quickly comes back down to zero to snuff out any flare if he feels his classic syptoms coming on.

It works for him, and as we know, one hat doesnt fit all with this illness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HI Pete - I flared recently. As ever, it took a while to be convinced it was a flare - my Rheumy was convinced it was something else (not quite sure what) as the initial symptoms were sufficiently different from previous events as to cast doubt. After a while a number of other symptoms started appearing and, to me, there was no doubt! I was put back onto 40mg Pred (from zero) and immediately felt better. All symptoms virtually disappeared almost immediately. I have since had two further RTX infusions - can't say I noticed any difference from simply using pred! The pred is now down to 10mg and they want me to stay there for the next 3 months.

I will update further if there are developments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, Pete, I'm sorry you have other issues cropping up and can't make it to the Clinic. But I hope that indeed means it is something other than a Wegs flare and it will soon pass.

As for coffee, I'm not sure that decaf counts! Don?
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pcw51, that is similar to what happened with my recent flare. I thought I was having one but my doctor didn't! I had recently had a cold and was still recovering from the effects of that. It took a worsening of symptoms to convince him I was having a flare, which was borne out by the blood test. Yes, an increase in pred can work wonders! My MTX was increased, too, which I think was too low to begin with. No RTX experience here. I'm trying to get my pred down now from 12.5 back to 10mg., where it was before the flare. I should be able to do it, but if any stressful situation comes up, it makes it difficult! I'm working on it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Have GI symptoms this morning.
    what is GI ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia, in Pete's case, GI means gastro-intestinal. Anne, coffee is coffee...never good for one, but caffeine can affect some adversely more than others...as I sip mine now! Pete, hope you feel better soon, maybe you just have a case of 'summer' flu? Sheesh...anyway, best to you bud...shake it off quickly.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Alysia, in Pete's case, GI means gastro-intestinal.
    Pete, hope you feel better soon, maybe you just have a case of 'summer' flu?
    sometimes, when it is not clear if the state is flaring or some "flu" (germs, virus), Im wondering if elevating the pred is the right step, because it may cause the "flu" (if this is the case) became worse. isnt it ? I thought that the immune system is weaker when pred is more high, so it can cause the germs/ virus sustains more. what do you think ?
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    sometimes, when it is not clear if the state is flaring or some "flu" (germs, virus), Im wondering if elevating the pred is the right step, because it may cause the "flu" (if this is the case) became worse. isnt it ? I thought that the immune system is weaker when pred is more high, so it can cause the germs/ virus sustains more. what do you think ?
    I would agree that it wouldn't be too wise to increase the pred if you think what you have might be the flu rather than a flare, for the reasons you say. I think it would be better to let the "flu" or cold, or whatever, take its course and if it goes away on its own, then you know it wasn't a flare. In my case, I had a cold, which wasn't bad and pretty much went away, but I think it may have triggered the flare that built up over the next few weeks. By the time my pred and MTX were increased, it had progressed to some classic Wegs symptoms such as night sweats and nasal blood clots, and the blood test showed greatly increased inflammation. It can be tricky, though, I'm sure, with other time frames and types of symptoms, and especially in cases where one becomes suddenly very sick and must decide what to do.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling decent now - just tired. Waiting for wegs doc to call about pred. Hoping that a one time dose of 20 mg won't hurt anything.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Feeling decent now - just tired. Waiting for wegs doc to call about pred. Hoping that a one time dose of 20 mg won't hurt anything.
    I'm glad you are feeling better. My sense is that a one time dose of 20mg. pred would NOT hurt anything. And if she has you continue that way for a bit, no big deal, either! Understandably, though, you'd want to taper back down pretty soon as long as things are OK.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast