Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Peripheral Neuropathy: WTF

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Peripheral Neuropathy: WTF

This is driving me crazy. My lower part of my left leg into my foot is semi numb with that damn "pins and needles" feelings. It is driving me crazy. I'm thinking of trying acupuncture at this point. The cramping in my hands plus the foot issue have me going bonkers. Ideas, thoughts from my Weggie crew?!?!?
    official diagnosis: January 2013
    "What didn't kill me has only made me stronger."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neuropathy is the one symptom I don't have, so I can't be of any help to you. I do remember a neurologist at one of the foundations meetings saying that acupuncture worked pretty good. Maybe you have the right idea. In any case I hope you find a solution soon!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had it in my left shin down to the big toe. At this point, the shin is OK, the pins & needles are gone. The numbness remains in the top of my foot to big toe. And my foot is generally stronger and I am more aware of the numbness...you don't know how many times I've tripped over the smallest things because the foot is numb! Anyway, I used massage, and foot exercises and more massage. Took just over a year, and I know some of that is just my brain, to feel like it's better. The shin is completely 'healed', and while the foot and toe remain numb, they are stronger and, as I said, I'm more used to it now. Generally, nerve damage has about 6 mos to begin regeneration...if not by then, it's usually a IF it ever does regenerate situation...that is, some do, some don't. Have seen it in lots of athletes. Soooo, try massage, no, it's not damaging as some have tried to suggest on here...it does not stir up bad things...sheesh. Exercise, albeit forced, can help with improved blood flow and strength. Do you have access to a physical rehab person? They could help. Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Meode,

I can't offer any suggestions regarding the numbness and tingling in your leg. However, when I had frequent hand cramps, I found that eating a banana and taking a 100 mg potassium tablet daily helped a lot. I still do the banana/potassium thing and have only the rare hand cramp.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the neuropathy in my lower legs and feet, maybe not as bad as some people, but enough to drive me nuts sometimes and keep me awake at night. It has almost gone away with treatment, though it has taken a long time. There is still some residual tingling and cramping after 2 years. One thing I did when it was bad, which helped temporarily, was soak my feet in hot water. Not TOO hot, of course, be careful. But it got some circulation going which I guess helped something. And some self-massage, as Don suggested. Mostly I just put up with it, though. I hope yours responds to some of these suggestions and goes away with time.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks all. With my DVT and the Coumadin, i cannot have bananas, which i know would help with the hand cramps! grrrr it's always something lol
    official diagnosis: January 2013
    "What didn't kill me has only made me stronger."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone else heard about a proposed treatment for neuropathy involving infared treatment. It is suppose to stimulate the increase of certain cells in your blood to improve the circulation. I saw mention of it on a pseudomedical site as a new treatment for diabetic neuropathy but haven't heard it mentioned anywhere else. I plan to ask my endocrinologist about it and my podiatrist the next time i see them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that, often sometimes, in the lower legs and numbing, tingling feet, same with the lower arms and numbing- tingling hands. My fingers and toes are purple-ish. I also have Raymaund's.
    I have diabetics too, and when I check my blood sugar my husband makes fun of me, because when I prick my fingers, often repeatedly, no blood comes out. "I knew it, you're dead" he says. He has a way of keeping things light.

In the warmer seasons it's better. During the winter, hot showers help some. The tingling subsided some and the numbness increased. I often don't have reflexes from my knees downward. I suppose I mostly for use to it, but when it does bother me, I notice that I haven't gotten enough sleep and usually pushed myself too hard.

i hope this helps.

Hope

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have neuropathy in lower legs and feet and really have had no relief at all. Like DD I can trip over a dime with no feeling in both feet. I say I'm walking from memory. Did the Neurologist and he said he could "give me a pill" with no promises other than weight gain, didn't need any more of that. So I still can't feel most of my feet and shins and ankles have taken on a color from brown to purple and anything in between. Seeing a Podiatrist end of month so will learn more hopefully. I have Warfarin also so diet is critical, with "pre" Diabetes. So you also know I am in drug free remission from WG.
    Dale