Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Grommets and Drains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ear Grommets and Drains.

I've decided that it is time to do something about my hearing loss as it is becoming a problem with the rest of the family. I need the TV turned up loud and have to ask them to repeat everything they say.

I know from my symptoms and also a recent MRI scan that the problem is due to fluid or granuloma in my middle ear so I'm expecting the ENT consultant to recommend grommets (who knows? I may be wrong!). I'd be very interested to hear anyone's experience with these. How do they fit them? Do they work? Are there alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like you Jack... I am 'all ears' to hear of anyones experiences with regards to treatment with hearing. Reading this site I realise how lucky I am with regards to the effect of WG on me personally. The very first and continuing syptom has been my hearing which has just recently deteriorated. High pitch whistling and a built up of pressure within the ear has proved to be a bit of a nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had 3 sets of tubes put in my ear drums Jack. They were all done in 2003, the year I was diagnosed with WG. None of them did any good. The first set the ENT put in he said the fluid in the ear was quite thick and the next 2 he said it was like concrete. My hearing loss is sensorineural and not conductive. It may have been conductive early on but the granulomas got to the nerves and damaged them. I have had hearing aids since June of 2005. They help alot. Hopefully you have a good ENT and he will order a complete audiometric work-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like I'm going to have to discover the answer to my own question.
    I saw the ENT consultant today and he talked me into trying grommets before giving up and going for hearing aids. It will mean a short spell under general anesthetic which I'm not too pleased about, but he says that I can discuss my concerns with the anesthetist before hand.
    Just waiting for the date now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope it goes well for you, Jack. Let us know when it's scheduled.

Here in the US, we use the term "ear tubes" instead of "grommets." Whenever I see grommets, I think of boat sails. You thinking of taking those ears out on the high seas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The holes in boat sails are more often called eyelets over here.
    I have perfectly formed ears and so don't have problems in high winds.

I'll let you know when I get my appointment. I doubt that I'll be a high priority case.

Doug Guest

Let me add my best wishes for you, too, Jack. As you may remember, I haven't much enthusiasm for ENTs, so I hope your experience with the implantation of grommets/tubes is beneficial, and it opens up some avenues of hope for those with hearing loss due to WG side effects, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Best wishes from me too. I hope you get a date that's not too far away and the operation is a complete success!
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been very much in two minds about having this op because the benefits seem uncertain while the risks are very real. I was due to have the op on Monday and went in today for a pre-operative assessment which has made my mind up for me. They don't think I'm fit enough to be operated on unless it was a life threatening situation!

I'm quite glad about this result in a way because it has confirmed my own suspicions while going against the opinion of the ENT surgeon who did not seem to want to discuss very much with me when I last saw him and said everything would be OK.

Looks like its a hearing aid for me instead. Much safer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there's always a risk of surgery (any type) causing Wegs to flare, too. Anesthesia is very hard on the body.

It makes sense that hearing aids are a better way for you to go, Jack. Since your Wegs has been in remission for so long, does that mean your hearing loss is stable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast