User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another rant, lab results and babies of the human variety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me started on the rant! Don't mean to sound cold, but the lab thing is personal to me. I work in the medical field, and here in the US, we are just beginning to see the effects of socialized medicine. I'm sure the system works much better in Canada and Australia and England than it will here, but the doctors I work for are terrified and it's not because they wont be making millions, it's that we will be forced to close our office - probably next year. Anyway...

About the baby thing. You will get lots of different advice from each side of the issue and it will ultimately come down to how you feel about it. If it were me, I wouldn't let this disease determine the outcome if I had the choice. It might be had to time it with all of the drugs that you might end up on - maybe adoption? It is a huge decision, but I have a 9 year old daughter and I feel like my life started when she was born. She is the reason I fight this disease so hard. I have 3 dogs and taking care of them is nothing like children. I loved my dogs like kids before my daughter was born, but your existance will change with human babies. The meaning of life will become apparent - if you pay attention - and it has nothing to do with WG.

Saying all that, I do know how daunting it must be. I wasn't real excited about kids before - I just didn't want to deprive my wife of the chance - but now - looking back - it saved my life. And she is happy. She is concerned when I go into the hospital or get tired, but someday I'll be gone and she will have kids of her own and her life will go on. Hopefully she will be happy then as well. I consider it my job to try and teach that to her. Bad things will happen to any child. That is all part of life.

I could say more, but perhaps ive already said too much! Sorry if I stepped on any toes - just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carrie, Brian is right about having kids. You already have a perfect husband that loves you to pieces. He obviously wants kids. But I can certainly understand your fears. Like Brian said, you have time. There is always the option of adoption as well. There are millions of kids out there wanting to go to a loving home. Brian and Marta are an amazing couple with an amazing child. I will never forget meeting them all. Hana made such a deep and loving impression on me that I will never forget. Children are certainly a gift from God.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my mom has a different AI and I strongly feel like me and my sister developed ours from having similar genetics. I am 20 and planing school and work and also decided what I would like to aim for as doctors explain I would only get the window. I worry about this being genetic and inflicting this pain on a child when so many kids in the world already need homes. My mom was not really diagnosed when she had me and i seemed the only healthy one till 2 years ago when i flared. My sister also came into my life latter and my mothers body had been trough the appropriate medication but now they share the same AI. I understand medicines are getting better and, I love my family and, the odds of my kids getting this is in no way proven, but i really understand your confliction. I agree on the clock ticking thing and I am not really even in that part of my life yet. this really has to be a personal choice but I believe you have the experience to handle any of the options and this time not on your own.
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to hear everyone's input on such a "sensitive" subject!

I tend to go with the flow, and that's what I will probably do. Hubs and I had a talk and I'm feeling better about it. He told me he would love to have kids; but he wants me healthy and happy more than he wants babies. So that's the plan of action - I'm going to try to put it out of my mind for now... Focus on getting off these medications, and getting healthy. I think everyone has this image of their life of what life is "supposed" to be like; go to school, get a job, get married, have kids. Any deviation from that feels like you are doing something wrong (at least to me).

I was raised by my grandmother, so sometimes I think a bit old fashioned. I told her I wasn't sure I was having children, mostly because of the disease - if I wasn't diagnosed with wegener's last year I would probably be preparing the spare bedroom! (please keep in mind, I love my grandmother like a mother as she raised me. However she speaks her mind!). She thought about it for a bit... And she said "What will you do if you don't have children?". It's a hard question to answer - as those of you with kids have replied that you live for your children. Right now; I could not imagine living for anyone else but me.. Which makes me selfish and maybe too selfish right now to have children. Before this disease, I never lived for me - this disease has made me think of "number one" (myself) more than I ever have in my life.

It's a lot to think about. I think deep down I know I will have children... I just wish this stupid disease wasn't in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there is a real "window of opportunity" anymore. Women are having children at all ages. At your young age, I think you have plenty of time to think on it and not worry about it. Nothing has worked out in my life the way I thought it would, but it worked out the way it was supposed to I guess. I was diagnosed just before my 40th b-day and had been with my boyfriend for 3 years and planning on marriage and children...all that got put on hold. I don't need the extra stress in my life, I need to focus on getting better and being healthy.

Neither of us had been married or had children, and I just turned 41 and he turns 50 in June. Time for plan B.

Anyway, give it some time and enjoy a healthier you and marrried life a bit!
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12