User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Olive Leaf Extract - Experiences/Thoughts/Comments?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Olive Leaf Extract - Experiences/Thoughts/Comments?

I have a cousin-by-marriage who suffers from pretty severe Rheumatoid Arthritis.

He's tried methotrexate but found it knocked him around so badly he had to discontinue it (he'd be completely useless/bedridden for 2-3 days after taking it).

And then someone suggested he try Olive Leaf Extract (apparently it has anti-inflammatory properties, admittedly it sounds more like "latest miracle cure" hype than anything).

I have no idea what brand/dose he's using, but since he's been taking Olive Leaf Extract his RA no longer leaves him bedridden in constant pain and he's now back to a part-time job. (still swollen joints, and sore, but not completely incapacitated)

+1 for purely-subjective, unscientific, not-even-my-disease success. (very much not a cure, just less severe symptoms)

Does anyone here have any experience with OLE and has it helped (or not) their Wegener's symptoms? If it has helped, what brand/dose?

I've googled around, but can't find anything talking about OLE and Wegener's specifically - only about inflammation in general. But we treat Wegener's with the treatment for RA (methotrexate) so I'm wondering if maybe it might be useful?

As far as I can see, unlike Echinacea it doesn't boost the immune system itself (which would be bad for Wegener's) but rather it impairs bacterial/fungal/viral biology directly (which can only help when all our treatments are suppressing our immune system) and mumble-something => "anti-inflammatory action". I am not medically inclined, I've just done a surprising amount of forced-learning since being diagnosed - to my untrained ear it sounds "safe" but I don't have the knowledge to evaluate whether it's actually effective against Wegener's.

Comments, anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After MTX the usual next step is to try generic Imuran and then Cellcept if necessary. After that it becomes mostly a shot in the dark to see if they can find anything that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olive Oil seemed to do Popeye some good.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Olive Oil seemed to do Popeye some good.
    Methinks Batman has ingested tooooo much olive oil!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing an anti-inflammatory would not be a bad thing for us, but I don't think it can take the place of our Wegs drugs. I'm guessing it might help with some of the side pain. You do need to be careful not to get into anything that might boost your immune system obviously, and I'm far from an expert there. Maybe Sangye will see this and chime in
    ~ Bob