Thread: Hospital Stay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hospital Stay

Got out of the hospital on Friday.

On about June 2 I started to have a congested feeling in my chest like it was in the upper lung and bronchial area. I started to have a fairly good wet cough with this as well. On the evening of June 6 the congestion and cough were much worse and I started coughing up blood with the mucus and sometimes just straight blood. I called in sick to work that night and my dad took me to the hospital.

I told the ER doc my whole history. He said he read about WG but has never seen anyone with it before. I told him it was best I had a chest x-ray done and to consult with my Rheumy in Saskatoon. They gave me 1g of Pred IV that night and another dose on Monday morning. On Monday, June 8, they finally did a chest x-ray. They released me on Tuesday morning.

As it so happened I had regular appointments scheduled with my Rheumy and Neph on June 10. My dad took me up to Saskatoon to see them. My congestion and cough were still bad and I still felt fairly weak. I saw my Neph first and he was doubtful that it was the WG flaring. I then saw my Rheumy and she talked with my Neph and looked at the chest x-ray. She said the chest x-ray looked more like pneumonia. She then admitted me for 2 days to the hospital to try to narrow this down.

That night they did a CT scan of the chest and a whole bunch of blood work. A doctor came to see me late that night and said that it looked like WG to him and the Radiololgist and said that another Rheumy would see me in the morning.

The next day the Rheumy came to see me and said they weren’t sure if it was WG or a lung infection and that they wanted to do another CT scan of my neck area because the Radiologist saw something there. They did the CT later that afternoon.

The next day the Rheumy came back and said that the thing in the neck was nothing and that they were 98% certain that it is a lung infection. They released me that day, June 12, around noon. They gave me six days of an antibiotic called Moxifloxacin HCl 400mg and upped my Pred to 40 for 2 weeks and down to 30 for 2 weeks and then down to 20 again.

It’s nice to be back home. I am feeling a little better today. The congestion and cough are getting better and I am feeling a little stronger. The blood work they did in the hospital in Saskatoon showed up good. White cells were normal and blood and urine Creatinin were normal as well. CRP and ESR were good too. I wont know the results of the ANCA until about June 25. Does anyone else have to wait about 2 weeks to get their ANCA results?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you are out of the woods so to speak. I get my ANCA within a week, but if they are busy I don't get the mailed out copy unitl 2 weeks or even more. My doc however gets it in couple of days.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jolanta.

My GP doesn't get the results for about 2 weeks.

I was wondering about Actonel. My current Rheumy I've had for about 4 and a half years. She put me on Actonel in my first flare back in 2004 but hasn't brought it up again since. The admitting Rheumy in the hospital seemed to think it is necessary if I am on Pred. If I remember correctly I took one pill a week and it was about $10.00 per pill. Does this sound right to you? I should be seeing my GP this week. I will discuss it with him. Maybe he could give me some samples.

Anyone else out there with info on Actonel please post. I once heard that Actonel doesn't work as well as just taking Calcium. My Rheumy seems to be fine with me just taking Calcium. Maybe I should have one of those bone scans done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes me 2 weeks plus to get my anca results. I have asked and was told they have to culture and stain them and also do a PR3 test.

Glad you are feeling better

Derek

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You Derek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phill, calcium supplements are great and i take them in between the Actonel but being menapausal, I have to take both. Bone density test is what you want, ask your GP to send you for one. I think it is a personal issue whether you want to take Actonel or not. It is proven to help with bone density loss so see what the results will be and go from there
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my Gosh Phil!

I am glad you are out of the hospital and starting to feel better. Sounds like a hassle for you for a while. My anxiety level rises considerably when doc are performing test after test. I hope you are a calmer and more accepting person than I am. I just want to you know that I feel for you and am wishing a speedy recovery.
    My ANCA tests take at least a week, sometimes two.
    LIsa

Doug Guest

Smile Just say no to flares!

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Got out of the hospital on Friday....It’s nice to be back home. I am feeling a little better today. The congestion and cough are getting better and I am feeling a little stronger. The blood work they did in the hospital in Saskatoon showed up good. White cells were normal and blood and urine Creatinin were normal as well. CRP and ESR were good too. I wont know the results of the ANCA until about June 25. Does anyone else have to wait about 2 weeks to get their ANCA results?
    It takes two weeks for me to get cANCA results as well. Congratulations on having normal Creatinine, white blood cells, red blood cells, etc. It really does sound good for you that the cANCA will look good for you too!
    Let's cross our fingers and toes, and hope so! It seems odd saying "I hope you had pneumonia", but isn't that the way of us Weggies when we really mean to say, "I hope you aren't having a flare"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jolanta,

I will look into getting a bone scan done. I'm not sure if I have to travel to Saskatoon for that or not.

Thanks Lisa and Doug for your concern as well. I am feeling a bit better today. The energy level is up some more and the congestion is almost gone and am barely coughing any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is good news Phill, take care of yourself
    Jolanta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast