Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prednisone and rituximab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default prednisone and rituximab

i wanted to know how much prednisone ppl were on before getting a rituxin infusion? i am on 10mg of prednisone but they want me too think about doing another infusion next month. i tried looking it up. just really wanna know if u have to be on prednisone to get an infusion... please help...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was taking 60 mg a day, but I was very sick & they were trying to prevent further kidney damage. We are all different. I also had an infusion of 250mg solumedrol on the same day as the rituxan.

Go here Rituxan (Rituximab) for RA, NHL, CLL, GPA and MPA & click on prescribing information to find out manufacturers recommendations for the infusions, but it doesn't say what you need to take daily--my thouroughly unscientific thoughts are its going to vary depending on how sick you are. Hope this helps!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I did my first rtx with 20mg pred and the second is going to be with 10mg, because Im getting it down.
    before starting the rtx they gave me 120mg of some steroids to prevent alergy.
    JeanMarie, thanks for the link !
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lupita View Post
    i wanted to know how much prednisone ppl were on before getting a rituxin infusion? i am on 10mg of prednisone but they want me too think about doing another infusion next month. i tried looking it up. just really wanna know if u have to be on prednisone to get an infusion... please help...
    Hi Lupita,

Prednisone taken orally at any level is not a prerequisite for receiving a Rituxin infusion. Many people happen to be on it at the time of their first (or later..) infusions, but the idea of a major drug like Rituxin is to get you OFF of oral prednisone (as soon as possible, or at least minimize the dose at which you need to take for daily control) and other medications that are frequently used to treat Weg initially. Once symptoms are controlled, one should taper off daily prednisone as soon as possible. It is not a good drug to stay on long term unless necessary. (All meds should be determined by a physician experienced with treating vasculitis!!)

During the course of the infusion of RTX itself a premedication one frequently receives is an IV dose of solumedrol (a type of steroid that is delivered to prevent reactions during the infusion, often delivered with oral benadryl) but there is no set dose for daily prednisone that you might hear people talking about on this site. I hope this answers your question.

Jane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so i should be ok with taking my 2nd infusion and being on 10mg of prednisone. Right now I feel fine. Exercise fine. Do my daily things fine. I get a lil neck pain at night but I can breathe fine and have nothing else bothering me. Soo far so good. So y'all think I it should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post
    Hi,
    I did my first rtx with 20mg pred and the second is going to be with 10mg, because Im getting it down.
    before starting the rtx they gave me 120mg of some steroids to prevent alergy.
    JeanMarie, thanks for the link !
    So u will be on 10mg when u get ur next infusion. Everything I read about Rtx says "in combination with glucocorticoids"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oral pred dosage should not change while receiving rtx infusions because one gets it by IV as well in much higher dosages.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go here Rituxan (Rituximab) for RA, NHL, CLL, GPA and MPA & click on prescribing information to find out manufacturers recommendations for the infusions, but it doesn't say what you need to take daily--my thouroughly unscientific thoughts are its going to vary depending on how sick you are. Hope this helps!![/QUOTE]

Hi.
    I read this link and it is very scary

anyone knows about the risks in the link ?

4 days after my first RTX I got herpes sore near my nose. is it becauase of the RTX ?
    anyone else got it ?
    and this morning I almost fainted after having diarrhea.
    are these reactions to rtx or coincidence ?
    we have holiday these days, and my doc is religious so I'll have to wait to ask him...
    thanks.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not on RTX but did read the link and understand your concerns. However, all the WG drugs have risks. I hope the symptoms you are having are not because of the RTX but if so, it might be an adjustment period is needed, like with all the drugs.

About the herpes by your nose: I've had herpes sores on my face occasionally all my life, mostly on the mouth but sometimes elsewhere, even on my forehead. The area by your nose could be stressed from a lot of mucus and nose-blowing. When you get a herpes sore it means the virus is always in your body, but your immune system is not controlling it as maybe it usually does. For me, stress can cause an outbreak, and certainly any immunosuppressant drugs can increase the incidence of sores. So yes, if you usually don't get these at all, I'd say that being on RTX could cause them to happen, but it could also be true with the other immunosuppressive drugs we take. I could have more to say about "cold sores", as we call them, but will save that for another time....
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you Anne--all the drugs we take are scarry. I remember how sick I was before pred & how grateful I was when it worked. Wegs is a mean nasty disease & if & when it comes back again, I'll be taking RTX & high dose pred again without question.

Also, that link is published by the drug company & they are going to list every possible thing that could happen, no matter how rare. We do need to know all the information about these drugs & we also know what will happen without them.

Stay strong & be well soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast