Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how am i supposed to feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default how am i supposed to feel.

i got a phone call from my gp a couple of days ago asking me to call in for a routine blood pressure check.so i went along and had it done and for me it was normal.it was a nurse practitioner who did it,someone i'd never seen before, not my gp.she then said to me "and how are YOU doing".so she got the full story from starting with WG, to the cancer,then living with WG.all the while i was telling her this she sat there with a smile that looked glued on.at the end of my sorry tale she said "well at least you've had 50 years of living.you should go to the local childrens hospital and look at the suffering there." so am i supposed to feel better because there are kids who are suffering(an obnoxious thought) or should i wake up in the morning and think,yes she's right,i will suddenly start feeling better because of what she said.by the way,over the years i have been to the kids hospital and i've seen what goes on there from my son and grandson being in there.i just got the impression that her response was a stock answer to anyone who was less than positive.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've lived THAT moment myself too many times! A few times I've had the presence of mind to say something like, "It's a good thing to develop limitless compassion." I say it in a non-confrontational way, almost like I'm speaking to myself and they happen to be there. I guess in a way I am talking to myself, because I'm trying to have compassion for someone who would say such a thing.

I don't always have the presence of mind to do that, though. I often snap back in ways I regret later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm almost ashamed to say it, but sometimes I just have to turn my back on the suffering of others. I have about as much to deal with fighting my own condition as I can tolerate and I have to protect myself a little by pulling the blinds down. I just can't afford to go there!

As far as "at least you've had 50 years of living" goes, it is not such a bad thing to bear in mind. I have had several friends and acquaintances die in recent years who were younger than me and apparently healthy. It happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

She'll learn I'm sure. John, I'd feel pretty much like she didn't give a tinker's fart how I felt. She's definitely got a lot to learn about bedside manner. Try not to let it bother you (easier said than done). She obviously doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm almost ashamed to say it, but sometimes I just have to turn my back on the suffering of others.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that, Jack. You have your own battles to fight. others have theirs Sometimes you just have to say no.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

andrew while i wouldn't wish this on anyone i sometimes feel that if people experienced what we go through everyday for just one week they might see things differently.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Absolutely! There's a saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes. Very relevant.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think that was a song from the 70s by joe simon.showing my age now.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sigh. Those were the days.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yes.
    john.

Doug Guest

Then again, there's that "You don't look sick," issue we have. Pehaps if Prednisone gave us puppy eyes instead of hippo arses....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast