Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wegeners Fundraising Initiative

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck Peter. This is a truly inspiring adventure you are embarking on and kudos to you for taking on this monster challenge! I'll be in Penticton riding the GF at the same time you are on route to Rainer and when I'm done I'll tip a glass (or two) to you. Finishing an Ironman when totally healthy is no walk in the park. This "thing" you've chosen to do is in a different league altogether. Stay safe!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whew. I can't believe that I have almost completed the trip. I started on July 3 from Vancouver BC. Over the next 4 days I cycled to the base of Mount Rainier averaging 120 km per day. On the third day we rode close to 145 km and it was unbelievably tough. I was exhausted after this day, which left me a little concerned about what lay ahead. To my amazement I managed to get back on the bike the next day and ride 90 km, including 5000 ft of elevation gain, and I actually felt fresh again. This was encouraging for me. I started to think I might actually be able to climb Mount Rainier.

After the 4th day of riding we took a day off to buy climbing permits and go over glacier travel and climbing techniques with the team. We ate a huge amount of calories and went to bed by 8 pm in anticipation of a 4 am wake up. The morning came quickly, but I had a surprisingly good sleep. By the time everyone was organized we were ready to start climbing at just after 6 am. It was a slow slog up to Camp Muir where we would spend the first night. The hike covered around 7-8 km and 4600 ft of elevation. About half way to the camp my younger brother Bob realized that the task ahead was a little more than he could handle. Usually he would be hopping along ahead of everyone, but he's a new father and has spend most of his time looking after his baby girl and not training. We kept on plugging along and finally reached the camp close to 2 pm. Once we were here we set up tents, melted some snow for drinking water, and had some food. Then it was time to wait and rest until midnight when we would start our attempt for the summit.

While preparing we had another couple team members bow out from the summit climb due to exhaustion. This left 3 of us. When we climbed out of bed at midnight, AJ threw on his boots and realized that his feet were in too much pain to walk. Now we were down to 2 and left with a decision whether or not to push on. Ashley and I discussed our options and decided to try. We roped together for safety and started off just before 1 am. It was fun to climb along in the dark watching the headlamps of other groups ahead and behind us. It's important to climb at night to avoid the heat of the day when the snow starts melting and rocks and ice start to loosen. We plodded along step after step on the massive mountain. Each step got us closer, but it was not easy going. By the time we were at 12,000 feet I was managing 20-30 steps then a 15 second break. We watched 50% of the people attempting the summit turn around due to fatigue, stomach issues, or breathing trouble. To my amazement my messed up lungs managed quite well. I just kept on pushing.

At 7:30 am Ashley and I reached the summit! We ended up being the only 2 on the peak. It was incredible. I could look down to the northwest and almost see Vancouver in the distance and tell myself that I pedaled and climbed all the way from there! I also got to share it with my best friend. I was very proud of my achievement.

It took us three hours to descend back to camp where we rested for close to an hour. Once we were ready to go again we strapped on our skis and slid down the remaining 4500 feet with quads that were screaming. In total we climbed for 16-17 hours and skied for less than 2 hours. When I made it back to the parking lot and quickly found my wife Marie and brother Bob waiting for me. It was great to give her a huge hug and celebrate the successful climb. I thought about her with every step I took. If something seemed to sketchy to me I was ready to turn around in a flash.

The next day my legs were like jello. I was exhausted. We hung around near the base of the mountain, went for a swim at a lake, and hit the hot tub. We also enjoyed some champagne and beer.

Right now I am in the Seattle area with 2 days of cycling left to finish off the trip. It's psychologically tough to keep going after the high of reaching the summit of the mountain, but it's also physically really tough. My legs are so tired and just generally tired. I'm trying to be careful not to push hard on the bike and to try and recover as I ride. Hopefully I can make it on schedule.

Thanks to everyone here who has watched and supported on my blog or Facebook page. It's been great to read the comments along the way. Some people have cautioned me about putting out such a great effort. I have certainly thought about how the exertion might affect me. It could cause a flare up. I could also flare up from sitting around and being careful. There's no way to know. I decided to try something and push myself to my limits. I proved to myself that I can get back in shape and I can tackle things that would have pushed me to the edge when I was "healthy". I know WG is life changing but I am still a very capable person. I can live with this. I also hope that this trip helps increase awareness, fund some research, and help others set goals for themselves.

Thanks!

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So proud of you Pete!
    Mary
    dx'd Janaury 2013
    involvement: lungs, kidney and sinus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW as 500 Weggies screamed Hooray for Pete!!!
    Incredible awesome trip and amazing accomplishment for anyone.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are absolutely awesome Mr. Peter Marsh.........way to go.

How proud you must be, and how proud we all are of you.

Push through now and get to that finish line - it is just a little bit further around the corner, you can make it.

What is next for you (after a big long sleep)??
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a champ! good on you mate! You're a gun!

Cheers, Anth

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123