Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Imuran taper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Imuran taper

Hi folks - not posted for a while but have been checking in regularly to see how everyone's doing. The good news for any 'newbies' to the site is that, in my experience, the pred weight does go when you come off them! This was a huge issue for me, having put on 3 stone at the beginning I thought it would never go but I'm now only 5lbs off my pre-diagnosis weight! Its also comforting in a funny sort of way to know that if I do flare, I will have a better understanding of the side effects of the drugs. So don't lose hope fellow 'pred poppers'!

Now to my question - does anyone have any advice for me on tapering Imuran - it seems the plan is to decrease by 50mg every 8 weeks (blood tests dependent). I know everyone is different (and don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get off them!) but does 50mg sound the right sort of taper for Imuran?

As usual, your wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Hi folks - not posted for a while but have been checking in regularly to see how everyone's doing. The good news for any 'newbies' to the site is that, in my experience, the pred weight does go when you come off them! This was a huge issue for me, having put on 3 stone at the beginning I thought it would never go but I'm now only 5lbs off my pre-diagnosis weight! Its also comforting in a funny sort of way to know that if I do flare, I will have a better understanding of the side effects of the drugs. So don't lose hope fellow 'pred poppers'!

Now to my question - does anyone have any advice for me on tapering Imuran - it seems the plan is to decrease by 50mg every 8 weeks (blood tests dependent). I know everyone is different (and don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get off them!) but does 50mg sound the right sort of taper for Imuran?

As usual, your wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
    What is current dosage for you? I went from 200 mg azathioprine per day to 150 mg but then had to go back to 175 mg due to flare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Jules,

I have a question regarding losing "pred pounds". I've gained about 10 kg (all belly fat) since I went on pred. My initial dosages were in the 40-50 mg/day range. Over the past year, I have tapered down to 2 mg/day, and if all goes well, I will be off pred entirely in about two weeks. After you got off pred, did you do anything special to lose weight? I've found my appetite to be a bit less, and my sole form of exercise is walking 2-3 miles most days, but my weight is still constant at about 85 kg. I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi drz - was at 150mg, was taken to 100mg and after seven weeks and just about to start 50mg! So far so good but just hope it doesn't prove to be too quick too soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Pete - at 2.5mg however hard I tried to lose the weight I just couldn't shift it and like you my exercise was walking (on the plus side the dogs have never been fitter!). It was with relief that one of my consultants then told me that even an Olympic athlete wouldn't lose weight on that sort of low dosage! He also told me not to worry and that when off the pred entirely my weight would start to reduce without me noticing. He was right (apart from the bit about not noticing!) I gradually lost the first 7 kg and then got stuck - that really kick started me though and then someone told me about the My Fitness Pal app (have you heard of it?). It's so easy to keep track of everything I eat and drink it really keeps me focused - I just find it so easy to use and it's shifted another 9kg - I am starting to get into pre Wegs clothes and that has spurred me on even more - roll on the Summer!

Jules

PS OK, so I'm not that saintly - I may have drunk too much champagne and eaten vast amounts of choc on Mother's Day!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jules,

Thanks for the info and encouragement. Getting off pred will coincide with an uptick in exercise as the weather warms. My biggest weakness over the years has been after dinner snacking. My wife and I have decided that the kitchen and refrigerator will be closed after supper.

Be well!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD