Thread: Dundundun... MOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dundundun... MOLD

So I have a problem.

It's kind of embarrassing; but I thought I should ask before I whip out the bleach.

Our house has always had a bit of a moisture issue. Ever since we bought it; to combat this we run two dehumidifiers (one on each level of the house). Anyway, we have been having crazy temp fluctuations and it causes two of our outside walls to sweat (our bedroom; and a spare room). Now there is MOLD on the ceiling! YUCK. The bedroom is very minimal. However the spare room has about 2 feet on the ceiling that is affected.

I can see it; and it's there. It's black in color. I want to wash it off but if it is going to invade my lungs with it's alien mold spores I don't want to. Obviously; we can't afford to rip the ceilings out else I would do that too. It's honestly not a ton of mold; but I am just weirded out majorly by it. We also can't really afford to have someone else come look at it. Nope; this is a job for us (aka, me) to tackle on my own.

I have prepared for my mold-killing extravaganza by purchasing every mold destroying product known to man. However I would like to make sure that I will be safe before attempting to annihilate the mold empire.

I plan to wear a mask and gloves; of course.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How thick is the mold in the thickest spot. Mold can be very hard to get off of most surfaces. Try to take some detailed pics.

I would ask professionals that clean up this stuff for a living. Maybe they will offer some tips. Search online as well.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not thick at all. It's like flat?

Professionals want to charge you money!

Im getting my grandpa to come look at it on the weekend. He is a carpenter and know which ones are the "bad" ones or so he says.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get as many opinions as you can.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Carrie,

We had the same problem and it's relatively easy to get rid of - I think hubby should do it though

Do you have a product called sugar soap - it works wonders
    My husband is a Commercial Cleaner and he said white vinegar.

But - one, you shouldn't be up a ladder or on a chair and reaching above your head to do that sort of thing and two, hubby should be doing it
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get your grandpa's opinion, if it's not the dangerous kind then self cleanup will probably be fine. I would say though you must have an insulation/vapor barrier issue if you are getting water buildup inside the walls.

Or maybe I watch too much Holmes on Homes
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an insulation issue; which my grandpa told me. There was not enough insulation in the outside walls and it sort of fell down (or so pop says) and its letting the outside walls get too cold and sweat.

and LOL it takes a lot to motivate hubs. I'm going to try to get him to do it but that won't be easy; but we will see... I could threaten not to feed him LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carrie,

Mold could be very dangerous for you to clean up. The thing that tiggered my wegs, was ripping out a whole house of carpet(that my husband wouldn't do). Maybe you could also threaten him with no sex along with the feeding him. Good luck to you!

Jana
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmmm, no food, no sex...guess I will go clean the mold...NOT! I can cook and I can...LMAO!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi carrie,
    I think you shouldnt clean it. I read that WG can start as a reaction to air polution so why take a risk ?
    In fact I suspect my acute onset started after I cleaned my printer from a lot of dust of dry ink. The WG was already there but this "started" it.
    your health is more important. find someone who will do it for you. maybe even pay for that.
    you look great in that picture.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast