User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recurrent sinus infection (and proposed surgery to correct deviated septum)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recurrent sinus infection (and proposed surgery to correct deviated septum)

Hello to all, and sorry to have been gone for a stretch,

I haven't post much on the forum lately...and that's a good sign meaning my daughter's condition has been 'quiet' for a while. But, now back to reality and all things Weg.

Though she has been largely in a medical/RTX induced remission, she has been getting many recurrent sinus infections (we live in Texas, USA, home of every allergen known to mankind) to the extent that her local ENT is once again suggesting that she have her deviated nasal septum repaired. She had resisted such a surgery in the past, but the frequency and duration of infections is getting worse (and that can't be good for the lurking Weg dog).

Any experience here in the forum with such matters? I know that several have had saddle nose repairs, but wondering about deviated septum repair? Similar?

Thanks in advance,

Jane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the septum procedure, didn't want it, didn't think I needed it. Afterwards, I could breathe sooooo much better thru that nostril! OMG! Now, as to how it's done may be a different story for many. I didn't have the usual kind in that I had no packing, no bleeding, and no swelling...the repair of the septum was done much simpler than the old way. The ENT actually clipped away at the deviation/cartilage until it was as close to normal as possible, then overlaid the operated area with its own mucous membrane. I only had minor bleeding thru the nose for one day, had NO swelling, no pain...and once it healed I have been so much better off. It also seems a few people on here are complaining of the allergy season coming on and the inability to tell the difference from the WG sinus damage. My ENT simply had me take Claritin for a short while after the surgery, and when I feel allergy symptoms coming on. It has made all the difference for me since the surgery, and so far this season I have relatively no allergy symptoms...and everything is blooming here in the desert now...of course, we're at 80 degrees now...hehe!
    Last edited by Dirty Don; 03-05-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jane, is the ENT saying the deviated septum is causing the infections?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks dirty Don, and very happy for your successful outcome. So, you did have your procedure done by an ENT....did you scout about and shop carefully before deciding to proceed with this particular surgeon? That is one of my concerns, as Alison's current local doc is near retirement and everything in his office is a bit antiquated.

Hi Phil!!! I hope this finds you happy. And the answer to your question is absolutely YES. She goes from one infection basically to the next, many times requiring lavage with suction (ouch!), antibiotics and occasionally a burst of pred to knock out the inflammation and infection.

My concern would be finding the local doc in Austin, TX that would have the skills with the newest/minimally invasive procedure to make the correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Palmyra;66552] So, you did have your procedure done by an ENT....did you scout about and shop carefully before deciding to proceed with this particular surgeon? That is one of my concerns, as Alison's current local doc is near retirement and everything in his office is a bit antiquated.

Yes...mine was done by a Dr. Lal @ Mayo (PHX clinic). I'm fortunate to live near them and am now a member of the Mayo family/team, so with the exception of my internist, most of my WG work is done by Mayo. Mostly cutting edge stuff where they can apply it. Ask the Vasculitis Foundation for ENT docs near you. Also, Phil is very knowledgeable about which docs are where...might ask him. Best of luck!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was having surgery on my nose I would want the best. Dr. Lebovics in NY is the best for this, but traveling might not be possible. I'm sure there must be some doc in Texas that would be half decent.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a saddle nose but the septum and cartlidge has totally collapsed inside. I have not been able to breathe through my nose for many years and don't have the sense of smell.
    My ENT wants to operate but will not do so until I am off medications.......so, I guess it may not happen.

I know exactly how you daughter feels and hope she can find an excellent ENT surgeon to do the job.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    If I was having surgery on my nose I would want the best. Dr. Lebovics in NY is the best for this, but traveling might not be possible. I'm sure there must be some doc in Texas that would be half decent.
    Yes Phil, I too have heard of Dr. Lebovics and that he is the 'go to' guy to consult and see for all things noses and Weg. I do know of some very talented local plastics docs....I just don't know if any of them would be willing to consult with Lebovics. Speaking of noses and ears and all things attached to the upper respiratory system, how are you?

All the best, and I hope you have a great day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=mishb;66597]My ENT wants to operate but will not do so until I am off medications.......so, I guess it may not happen.QUOTE]

Mich...I had the surgery while still on fairly high dose of pred and the current mtx...ENT took care to limit bleeding (membrane overlay) & I suffered no infection from it...just sayin...look into it...especially since you can't breathe thru the nose...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm doing okay. Thanks Jane. I still struggle with the coughing up of mucus every day. Some days I can't leave the house because of the mucus plugs. I feel my breathing is getting worse again. And I just pushed my dilation procedure back to April 25th.......oops. Hopefully I can hold out okay til then. Still lots of crusting and bleeding in nose. I have to irrigate with the waterpik at least twice a day to get out the nasties and keep it moist. Winter here is really dry.

I know a few Weggies in Canada that go see Lebovics for the nose surgeries and tracheal stenosis. I would personally want the best, and Bob is the best.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast