Thread: Saddle Nose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saddle Nose

Hey Everyone-

I was wondering if anyone out there has had nasal reconstruction done? If so, where did you have it done and how was the result?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a saddle nose (so no idea where to refer you, etc...), but I was wondering how it started. Would you be willing to describe how it developed?

Doug Guest

The front cover of the book THERE MUST BE A REASON, by Myrna Swart (this book was mentioned the other day- it's about a young girl who has WG, as written about by her mother), the girl who has WG is portrayed in three views: before WG, with the saddle nose, and after reconstructive surgery. In the first view, she has (I must be polite!) an ample nose; in the second, classic saddle nose; in the third, a petite, turned up nose. Attached is an article (American Medical Association) about reconstructive surgery on people with saddle nose. You have to scroll up because it opens on the second page. It's a bit technical, but it covers a lot of territory you want to know about.

http://archotol.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/130/3/334.pdf
    Last edited by Doug; 06-10-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think it's a result of the severe sinus/nasal infections that we weggies get. Some can get so bad they destroy the sinus/nasal cavities. Happy to be corrected.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug,

That article was great, thanks a lot! I had been looking for something like that with before and after pictures but wasn`t able to find anything. I have been interested in getting my nose corrected for awhile now, just have been putting it off. My nose looks just like the women`s nose in the picture and that gives me a great boost of confidence that my nose can look the way it used to, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It`s hard for me to pin point exaclty when my nose started to "fall". I have had WG for 9 years and this happened about 2 years ago. It happened very quickly, it seemed like one month I had my normal nose and the next, I had a saddle nose. My nose isn`t as bad as I make it seem though, most people say they can`t even tell. But since I`m still young, 25, it does bother me a lot and I`m getting married next year, so that`s the main reason why I`m getting it taken care of.

I hope you never have to know what a saddle nose is, but the good news is, it can be corrected!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope yours gets corrected easily-- it'd be hard at any age, but 25 sheesh....

Did you have other signs of things changing with your nose first? I ask all this because I haven't had any sinus/nose involvement, but have noticed the skin over the cartilage part of my nose is increasingly an odd, red color. Sort of spotty. And the cartilage on one side is sore when I wiggle my nose or rub it. The docs say it looks okay inside and last week's MRI was negative.

Doug Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by amers View Post
    It`s hard for me to pin point exaclty when my nose started to "fall". I have had WG for 9 years and this happened about 2 years ago. It happened very quickly, it seemed like one month I had my normal nose and the next, I had a saddle nose. My nose isn`t as bad as I make it seem though, most people say they can`t even tell. But since I`m still young, 25, it does bother me a lot and I`m getting married next year, so that`s the main reason why I`m getting it taken care of.

I hope you never have to know what a saddle nose is, but the good news is, it can be corrected!
    Congratulations on the marriage plans! Also, I'm glad the article served your purpose. The face is so much of our identities, I think we all can appreciate your concern. Another thing for you to be concerned about, and all your doctors keenly turned into, is pregnancies and the effects of WG drugs on your unborn child. Google each drug you are prescribed and read as many of the listings as you can, paying particular attention to ones by the drug companies and such sources as the Mayo and Cleveland Clinics, Johns Hopkins, and major teaching hospitals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be a spoilsport but because of WG, cartlilage may be absorbed by the body and its back to squzare one. Make sure the Plastic Surgeon is familiar with Wegener's.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

congrats on the wedding!! how long have you had WG?
    Summer

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast