Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iditarod

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ceremonial start for the race was today. Tomorrow the real race starts at Willow. I usually follow the Iditarod fairly closely, so once in a while I'll post standings on where Cindy is. But, you can always follow the race yourself, too. Here are some links that are handy.

Current Standings -- this is the most important link if you are going to follow the teams

Checkpoint Distances

Route -- this is an odd year, so they take the southern route

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they are off.... Cindy is still hanging in there.....

Iditarod 4Mar.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cindy at Finger Lakes...
    Iditarod 4Mar 1700.jpg

This is from Wikipedia.... The stretch from Finger Lake to Rainy Pass, on Puntilla Lake, becomes more difficult, as the teams follow the narrow Happy River Gorge, where the trail balances on the side of a heavily forested incline. Rainy Pass is the most dangerous check point in the Iditarod. In 1985, Jerry Austin broke a hand and two of his dogs were injured when the sled went out of control and hit a stand of trees. Many others have suffered from this dangerous checkpoint. Rainy Pass is part of the Historic Iditarod Trail, but until 1976 the pass was inaccessible and route detoured through Ptarmigan Pass, also known as Hellsgate, because of the 1964 Good Friday Earthquake.
    Last edited by vdub; 03-05-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving these updates and the history surrounding the route, vdub

I have been following Cindy's progress, but this last bit of information from you (Cindy at Finger Lakes) puts it in to perspective, of just how dangerous it is.

Someone said to Cindy (on fb) the other day - If you told me that you were going to go to the Moon for your next challenge, I wouldn't doubt that you will do it (something like that)
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She made it to Rainy Pass. That's quite an accomplish all on its own. Now she heads out into the bush. Miles and miles of nothing. Usually they have a webcam at Rainy Pass, but this is doctor'n day for me, so I don't have time to look it up. Maybe tonight.

Iditarod Map 5Mar 0700.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not good news for Cindy....
    Iditarod 5Mar 1700.jpg

This is from the Anchorage Daily.....
    FINGER LAKE: Iditarod notebook: Mushers test-drive 'pee pants' | Iditarod Sled Dog Race | ADN.com

Injured Abbott fears a scratch

In 2010, Cindy Abbott became the 40th American woman to summit Mount Everest. Running the Iditarod has been harder, she said Monday, just a day into the race.

Abbott said she may not finish the trek to Nome.

Suffering from a rare and incurable disease that damages blood vessels, the rookie musher takes 16 pills a day and is functionally blind in one eye. But it was a wrong turn early in the race by her lead dog, Dred, that put Abbott's Iditarod dream in jeopardy, she said.

About 20 miles from starting line in Willow, Dred aimed for a branching path that Abbott believes is a part of the Junior Iditarod trail.
    "He's his own man and he's sure that that was the trail," Abbott said. She yelled to the team -- "Haw!" -- trying to force a U-turn.
    "We spun my sled around about three times," Abbott said. "I ended up doing the splits."

Abbott, 54, suspects she tore a muscle. Her right leg is "working at about one-third power," she said.

Abbott managed to control the sled on the 40-run into Finger Lake despite a punchy trail ribbed with trenches, she said. But she worries about her ability to wrestle the dog sled for remaining 800 miles. Abbott planned to nap Monday night and attempt the 30-mile stretch to Rainy Pass overnight.

That leg ends with the infamous Happy River Steps, a series of switchbacks that threaten sleds and bones. If the trip goes well, she'll consider pushing onward to Nome, she said.

"This is really sort of a bummer, because I will scratch if I feel like I can't manage the sled for dog safety," Abbott said.

Finishing a plate of beans, chicken and rice Monday afternoon, she stood slowly, aching. This will be her only shot at finishing the Iditarod, Abbott said.

"Most people with my disease (Wegener's granulomatosis) they are lucky to be able to get out of bed or walk up a flight of stairs," she said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no! I sure feel for Cindy. She has worked so hard for this. It doesn't sound hopeful that she can finish.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't matter if she doesn't finish.........she gave it a shot

She is super amazing, has completed all of the lead up races and on top of all of that she is in a WG flare ........ but even now, if she cannot finish, she is still raising awareness for vasculitis and WG and what better way to do it.

Good luck Cindy.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast