Thread: Taking the plunge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Taking the plunge

Hi Folks,

Well I am taking the plunge and applying for a new job. I have accepted I simply can't do my current job anymore; standing on my feet all day and touching and being around so many people. I love it; and it saddens me but I guess it is what it is and I have to get out of there. I picked up 3 different bugs over the past two months and it's just not worth it for me.

However; I can't afford to stop working. The government is not willing to help me and it appears as though my doctors seem to think I should be able to work; I really don't have anyone on my side. I have not been admitted to the hospital since Sept, so things are looking up. Regardless of how hard it is to drag my rear out of bed every morning, I'm going to give it a shot.

I am hoping you all can give me some good luck, and guidance. This job I have applied for has everything I need.

There is a 1 month training period in which I will have to move - the company is putting me up in a hotel. This will be the hardest - but.. It's only a month and I think I can fight through it. I will be lonely for my husbands and furbabies but I need to better my life. Since I have been sick we have accumulated so much debt it's insane.

The job is done from home on the computer/phone after the training period, but it is shift work so I will have to work full time and all over the place. However, this job comes with much needed health benefits which I desperately need as I do not have those either.

I know the majority of weggies don't work but I need to give it a shot. I'm going to be so disappointed if I can't work. There is nothing more we can cut, and I don't want to be even more miserable by not being able to afford our home, vehicles, etc. I'm only 23 and I don't think people understand I'm sick...

I just hope my job accepts my disease and doesn't rag on me for it. I will probably need some time off during the summer to receive more RTX. It's so hard to find an understanding employer, it's hard enough to make the decision to work but I have been turned away from 3 places locally because of my disease. Small town and everyone knows about it; I'm like some kind of celebrity in a sick and twisted way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you have success as a "virtual employee". Good luck!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of luck to you...you are/have become very determined since we all first met you...YOU can do this!!!!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you can do it Carrie. All best to you.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wishing you the very best, Carrie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first month of training will probably be the hardest and you will need to get lots of rest in between.

Once you are home you should find it a lot easier being in your own surroundings etc and therefore more able to work.

The stress and burden that will be off your shoulders, by having an income to help with the bills, will certainly also help with your health.

Best of wishes Carrie
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wishing you success in working. Actually I do think the majority of Weggies do work, and probably most work full time, but we regular users here might represent the more extreme side of Wegs and retirees as we are the ones who have time to post and follow the forum regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carrie, I'm glad you applied for this job and wish you the best of luck in getting it. It is true what Michelle said, that the stress of your financial issues could be contributing to your having a hard time with WG. I think what drz says is true, a lot of us are middle aged and older and manage to get by with retirement income or whatever. At your age, and with your vibrant attitude, you should be working, and you have the talent to do the kind of job you want. Working at home, ultimately, sounds really great.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys!

I mean we get by - but it's stressful. Not to mention that we had huge expenses this summer (wedding) and we based our lives off having a double income.

I got extremely upset when I learned a few weeks ago one of my dogs needed his teeth cleaned. Abou a $700 price tag and we just couldn't afford it. I got so angry because its one thing for one of us to go without having something we didn't really need; but I was so mad we could not provide for our Kowalla. Would have never been an issue before; but the first thing I'm doing is getting pupperdogs teeth cleaned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carriej22 View Post
    Thanks guys!

I mean we get by - but it's stressful. Not to mention that we had huge expenses this summer (wedding) and we based our lives off having a double income.

I got extremely upset when I learned a few weeks ago one of my dogs needed his teeth cleaned. Abou a $700 price tag and we just couldn't afford it. I got so angry because its one thing for one of us to go without having something we didn't really need; but I was so mad we could not provide for our Kowalla. Would have never been an issue before; but the first thing I'm doing is getting pupperdogs teeth cleaned.
    Good of you to be such a responsible pet owner.... I might have had one or two cats' teeth cleaned in my 40 years of cat ownership. Now I can't afford to take even one cat to the vet for a routine check up. If there was a crisis I'd have to borrow the money. But they are feral rescues and a lot better off than they would be in the wild. And they are very healthy, being of good stock.

I do understand your frustration and anger at not being able to do something that would have been routine before, and at having your well-laid financial plans ruined by this rotten disease.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast