Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you stop working

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default When did you stop working

Just not feeling well today - heading to the doctor at 2:00. When did you come to the decision to stop working. I love my job but today all I want to do is go to bed. I am 56 and hoped to work until I am 67.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 36 now and had to quit working my part time job over 3 years ago. I have not had any gainful employment since I first got sick with Wegs 10 years ago.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    Just not feeling well today - heading to the doctor at 2:00. When did you come to the decision to stop working. I love my job but today all I want to do is go to bed. I am 56 and hoped to work until I am 67.
    Trouble with Wg is the roller coster effect. Some time/days feeling ok , others,s***! Have you talked to your bosses about the illness and how it affects you? You may be able to agree to adjusting your hours or going part-time. IMO, going to work is something to continue with as long as you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this varies pretty wildly. Some folks are never able to get and stay in remission. I imagine for them working is a constant struggle, if they are able to do it at all.

Other people are able to get into remission and thus continue to work with no problems. I've had a few flares, but the nature of my work (IT) and my involvment allows me to work. I will agree with Hammy though, some days I really don't feel like working
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Bob. When I went through chemo I worked 3 days a week for two months and then went to 4 days and then back up to 5. But I also worked from home and know that I would have had to take a leave of absence for probably six months if had not been working from home. Sitting was ok, but getting ready and going to an office would have been rough.

Also I am not sure of your history with Wegs, but it does get better. "This too shall pass" is my motto and it is true. So even when it looks bad know that you will get to a place where it is better. But do take care of yourself and know what you need to do for now until you get to that point. Both times I have had episodes (20 years apart) it basically took me two years from start to mostly remission for what it is worth.

Anna

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i haven't worked since feb 2007,when i was diagnosed.after spending a month in hospital i asked my rheumy when i would be able to resume work,she gave me a look and said "let's just wait and see on that one".i'm still waiting.
    john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was partially retired when i got sick with Wegs and decided to fully retire cause I was too ill to work in any dependable fashion. I was finally diagnosed three months later and know I could never have maintained any work since my diagnosis. I was in-patient or in recovery rehab for about first six months. I admire those of you strong enough to work but don't envy those who feel they have to work as I know I could never do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work full time, five days a week. On a train at 7am and home just after 7.00pm
    Start to get very tired by Fridays so on the weekend I sleep the mornings away and basically don't do much else after that for the rest of the day.
    Then it starts all over again on Mondays.
    I work in an office, sitting at a computer all day so it is not a physically demanding job, just mentally draining.

My heart goes out to those who are unable to work but need too. Unfortunately, money plays a massive part in the need to work issue
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all really depends, like others on here have said. I was self-employed and had been for 13years, worked at home and in various client's offices long hours. I started getting sick in Nov 2009, wasn't dx'd until Sept 2010 after lung surgery and multiple hospital stays and all kinds of opinions from various drs, have never achieved remission with all the different combination of drugs. I am 54 and finally had to make a decison to close up my business and concentrate on my health in Aug. of this past year. I got so that it wore me out just getting ready to go to a clients office and if I did I could not stay very long before it got dangerous for me to drive home. I also found that I didn't even have the strength to sit at a computer for very long periods, so working from home wasn't feesible either. It very hard on my ego to let go of working,but I guess that after 37 years of the grind and all the stress of different jobs, I know it was the right choice for me. Good luck to you and any decision you will make for your own self persevervation.
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was retired for nine months when I was diagnosed. It was right after we moved to Hilliard. I had thought I would look for some sort of volunteer work and take a few courses at Ohio State. I did start a course at OSU last winter, but had to drop it when I had a flare that put me out of commission for about six weeks.

Now, my major effort is helping my wife provide daycare for our 15-month old grandson. Will start thinking about possibilities again next fall.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast