Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A WG decision...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I can't help, Don, but best wishes to your friend in determining the right course of action, and for his recovery from whatever is done. And Fran, you are in my thoughts, too.... your attitude sounds like what we should all aspire to.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, all your nice responses made me even more curious: turns out that the 'eye' doc specializes in uveitis and is also a rheumy. Doesn't make it a 'team', but sounds like he's in better hands than originally related to me.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if this will help but, I had a triple bypass and a diagnosis later for WG. Truth be told if my wegs flare had been diagnosed first and treated I probably would not have needed the bypass. i am sure this is the rheumy's perpective. However, we all know remission takes time and his heart condition may be serious enough that the cardiologist doesn't want to risk it because if the heart is damaged more now remission might be a moot point. Getting these doc's to communicate and come to a concensus sometimes is a miracle in and of itself. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    A while back I spoke of an acquaintanceship has been diagnosed with WG. It appears, at 72 years old, his eyes, lungs, & kidneys have all been involved to varying degrees. He is noe on rtx infusions, high pred, as well as the usual complement of 'balancing' drugs. As of last nite he was also informed that he has had 2 mild heart attacks, and double blockages of at least 70 percent. Seems bad enough, right? Well, here's the deal: WG doc wants to apply blood thinners and put off the heart surgery (no stents) for 2 months. the heart surgeon says NEXT week for heart surgery.

I probably won't be speaking with him, but do have access thru a friend. Any commentary, advice? I mean I'd do the heart thing and restart the rtx treatments in my own mind, but I know very little about this kind of involvement...
    Im not able to advise but last year I had a complete heart exam, the whole she-bang! I was told befoe the angogram that if he found a blockage that he may not be able to stent it unless it is a small blockage. Any larger blockages or more than one small blockage ,he would have to consult with the rest of my wegs team. He did say that he didnt feel that because of my copd that I would not be a candidate for open heart surgey if needed, much less a heart transplant. He referenced the wegeners but he is working with the Pulmo. nephro and Reumy. Fortuanately he found only a weak left ventrical and believes the wegs has caused that. That said, I wonder if its possible the Dr wants to avoid infections or time to make preparations for a less infectious enviroment. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pharmacist I go to said if you have to rely on any dr. let it be the kidney dr. because they seem to know more.Heck,I trust my pharmacist over some of my drs. But my kidney dr. is great he told me I didn't need some of the meds the Cleveland Clininc was putting me on,and thank God ..I haven't needed them. I mentioned on another thread I was seeing a general surgeon about having my hiatal hernia taken out. And he was drawing me all kinds of pictures and telling me how easy it would be and it would be an out-patient surgery and the he was going to laser part of my esphogus where I have a little of Barrett's (which he said I didn't have until I showed him my report and pictures !!..but something just wasn't right to me about him so I went to get a second opion and this surgeon said it is not like any hernia surgery,it is very tricky and he would not do it and would not recommend any dr. in these city do it ! He also said he wouldn't go to the Dr. I first saw or send any of his relatives there. That I should go to UPMC hosital and I would probably be in for at least 2 days !!! Glad I got a second opinion. Sorry to ramble again but as far as the fellow u know I'd be worried about having another heart attack ESPESCIALLY being on all this crap.And again have him ask his kidney dr....may sound silly but they have to know the whole body !!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about the rule of thumb on who makes all the decisions. But I too have my nephroligist/internist making the calls for my team of Drs. I was asked last year by my cardioligist who ,besides him would I trust to administer, meds or info to me, if I could just pick one. Wasnt sure what he wanted me to say as I trust them all. He told me that with all the meds I take and the Drs I see, that its best that I could pick one to over see all of it while conferring with the others as one. I picked the kidney Dr. and he said that would be his choice. So she is the one that calls the shots or will help the others in deciding a plan of treatment or change if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don, assuming he's not well enough to travel to a major center one of his docs can consult with a VF Wegs doc (for free).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Don, assuming he's not well enough to travel to a major center one of his docs can consult with a VF Wegs doc (for free).
    OHSU is a good hospital/school/research center, but WG is not one of their specialties. At this point, I don't know how much or even if any consultations may have occurred. It just so happened that his opthamologist has seen WG in his eye treatments before and set him on the right path. As it is, the docs did go ahead with the heart surgery despite the rtx & pred doses...I heard it's been a rough go for him as they also found alveolar hemmoraghing...he's in trouble and he's a person who doesn't get it...guess he's still immortal. I wish the best for him, but we've got to learn to help ourselves...some people don't get that or want someone else to do it...sheesh. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread...I do pass the info along to his lady friend...she doesn't get it either...looks around...OMG, some people...anyway...thanks to all!
    Last edited by Dirty Don; 02-16-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, heart surgery with hemorrhaging lungs. Very, very bad. I hope he defies the odds and does well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12