Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Going gluten free?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you liked the carrots enough to promote them ...twice!!

Glad the bread turned out well! The yellowness could also be due to the eggs. Bob's Red Mill Bread mix calls for 1 egg, plus enough egg whites to make 3/4 cups. Of all the gf bread I've made so far - this one is my favorite. It turned out much more airy then the others I've made which are pretty dense. Regardless of recipe, a loaf needs to be eaten in about three days. And it is best kept in the fridge. It might be interesting to experiment with substituting oil for the butter, so coconut oils sounds like a great idea. Let me know how that turns out for you, Rebekah.

I will confess - I made a loaf of bread with traditional flour over the weekend. It is yummy! I plan to treat myself once a month. I used a combination of white and whole wheat flour. And both flours were organic. My doctor's main objection to wheat is the gmo aspect of it. She did say that even the organic flour has been contaminated by gmo....but I tell myself that it is a bit less of a "cheat" this way!! Anyway - here is the link. I posted it on my GF website - with a warning to those with a definite allergy to STAY AWAY!! Go to the following page and scroll down to see Jacquie's Favorite Bread Machine Recipe.
    http://wanderingbooknut.weebly.com/g...e-recipes.html
    Last edited by BookNut; 04-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a bit of an update on my experiment. I have been GF for about two months now, but did not have much of the benefit until about 4-6 weeks. Since then I have found that I have been sleeping through the night for the first time in YEARS. It is awesome

For those that seriously are thinking of going GF please know that it takes about 6 weeks for gluten to get out of your system, if you are really going to get the benefit it has to be all or nothing. And honestly that is the aspect that has made me go 100%, knowing that if I cheat then all the previous work goes down the drain. I *highly recommend* reading Wheat Belly or one of the serious blogs about going Paleo. I do have noodles that I "cheat" with, they are made of rice, but generally have adopted the Paleo diet which pretty much rules out grains.

All in all I think that the benefits to me are my sleep, a healthier gut and the fact that I can now tell which foods are good/bad for me. If I eat something that is bad it is easier to tell because my body reacts more, or maybe I can just notice it more.

Anyway I really think the secret is not trying to come up with ways to cheat, but to totally change the way you eat. GF bread *is* my cheat and my treat, but for the norm I have just gone *mostly* Paleo.

Would love to hear about others that have gone with the Virgin diet and the Paleo and see how that is going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just tried this bread recipe and it turned out SO WELL! The first gf bread that I would put up against a wheat bread for taste. It would probably not taste the same with King Arthur multipurpose flour - but if that is all you could find in your area - it would be worth a try. I may try it myself to use up the KA flour I still have. I will let you know how it goes. I ordered the Jules flour blend over the internet. It was expensive, but I like it much better than KA so far..so it is worth the money.

Gluten Free Beer Bread – From Jules Gluten Free Blog

Jules Speaks Gluten Free Blog | Gluten free recipes, resources, and news. Easy allergy friendly recipes and baking tips using Jules Gluten Free Flour.

10 oz. gluten-free ale (I like Green’s Quest Tripel Blonde Ale or Estrella Damm Daura lager for this recipe) or sparkling water, club soda or gingerale – room temperature. I USED GINGERALE.
    3 large eggs brought to room temperature
    3 Tbs. olive oil
    1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
    2 Tbs. honey or agave nectar (omit if using gingerale)
    2 3/4 cups Jules Gluten Free™ All-Purpose Flour
    1/4 cup dry milk powder/non-dairymilk powder OR almond meal OR buckwheat flour OR brown rice flour OR Jules Gluten Free™ All Purpose Flour I USED ALMOND MEAL AND IT ADDED A REALLY NICE TEXTURE AND COLOR.
    1 tsp. salt
    1 Tbs. granulated cane sugar
    2 1/4 tsp. rapid rise or bread machine yeast

Bread Machine Directions:

You may simply bake this dough as a loaf in a bread machine by adding the liquids first, then the dry ingredients on top. Set on gluten-free setting or only one rise and no punch-down. To bake in the oven, let the loaf rise in a covered bread pan for 30 minutes to one hour. Bake at 375º F (static) or 350º F (convection) for approximately 35 minutes. Check to be sure the loaf has reached 205-210F before removing from the bread machine or oven.

Makes a lovely beer bread!
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567