Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going gluten free?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Going gluten free?

The more I read and learn about gluten the more I realize how bad it is for folks. Also did not realize why it is now worse than it was before and that you can have mild symptoms that might not be easily attributed to gluten. I am working towards going gluten free and just wondered if anyone else has made the jump. I actually have a friend that has been GF for years and she is very helpful, I now know were to get gf pizza and cupcakes Going gf does not seem near as hard as it used to be. I found this today Wegener's Granulomatosis | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page and the last post about someone with Weg's is quite interesting.

Anyway just wanted to see what others experience has been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too am going gluten free. I'm in a flare right now so its hard to measure any progress. The information seems very solid to make a case against gluten. On a broader note I am also eliminating 6 other foods from my diet that are known to be food sensitive for a large number of people . There is a PBS program by JJ Virgin (yes , thats her name) that makes an incredible case for eliminating these foods for 21 days and then re-introducing them to see which you are sensitive to. I plan on reporting my results here. The volume and quality of information that suggests many of our health problems are caused by food sensitivity is very compelling. In my case , I'm not thinking that this is a cure for WG but could be a path to greatly reduce the chance of relapse - much like takeing Bactrim prophalactically reduces relapse. Staph infections cause relapse. Presumably by a specific immune response to that particular infection. I broached what I was doing to my very, very conservative, mainstream Rheumy a few days ago and he thought I could be on to something.

aewaustin, keep us posted on what your experience is with what you are trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just heard about this book from a friend. Apparently there is a very long waiting list at the library to get hold of a copy! So getting it some other way would probably be in order.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting review. And especially the part about "genetic tampering" and agribusiness passing products off on us that are a far cry from the wheat that used to be grown and consumed at one time.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me2, that says a lot for your conservative rheumy that he would be open to these ideas. I was actually considering trying to hook up with him, as you gave me his name once, if it's the same guy, and my current doc who has been treating my WG is becoming more and more unsatisfactory to me.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me2, What are the six other foods? And keep in in the loop on how this goes, I am very curious. My doc says it can take six weeks to see any real results from being GF.

I also went to a combo doctor yesterday, she is a nutritionist but also does acupuncture. I went to her because she worked with my friend and ended up getting her off all her meds for a condition she had for years. My issue is that I am so freaking tired ALL the time, and I have this leg tingling pain all the time as well. I have tested very low for B12 and am now getting B12 injections to help (highly recommend getting tested for this if you are tired). Starting to figure out that even though I am getting nutrients in my body, my body is not absorbing them, and that is why I am so tired. This week I am getting the results of a test that will confirm this, but just very interesting. So this new holistic doc is working on figuring out how to get my gut in the right place to process food correctly. She thinks that because of the chemo, and maybe wheat, it has caused all the bacteria in my gut, the stuff that I need, to be missing. Anyway long post, but I am finding this all very interesting and most of it is stuff I had never considered looking into. Just posting so maybe it can help someone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, you are testing me on the list of foods. I can do this. Gluten and dairy are huge. Soy and corn . I think partially because these crops have been largely taken over by GMO. I am reading a different book about that right now. Ok, thats four. I know peanuts and eggs are in there. Sugar is the other one. These are the foods JJ talks about in her book The Virgin Diet. I highly recommend the book (my library has several copies due to popularity). I especially like that it is loaded with anecdotes and science both, all based on years of her personal experience and the experiences of her clients.
    It is a diet that was not too far off from what I was already doing. What I didn't realize is that close isn't really as close as I thought. I'm thinking of it as catching a virus or something. A little gluten is going to make you as sick as a lot of gluten because it creates an immune response.
    I have an otherwise healthy friend who is doing this at the same time as me and she has already lost 9 lbs and feels greatly more energy. Prednisone has added many pounds to me. I am still currently up on my dose but I look forward to seeing how this diet does against a foe like prednisone.

Interesting you mention gut bacteria. As I was talking to my conservative allopath he mentioned that he was interested in the idea of gut bacteria affecting us.

I have not finished JJ's book yet because I have a lot going on right now. The good news is I was easily able to start her diet idea right away and read up on it as I go. For me ,eliminating these foods was not difficult although I did faulter a bit when someone offered me free pizza the other day. mmmm that looked good. But then I thought about the fact that I would have to be starting my experiment all over again and that I would not feel good after eating it. End of struggle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great info! I just looked up Virgin Diet and it makes sense, I found a good summary page at Discovery Health "JJ Virgin's Ultimate Meal Assembly Guide". My homeopathic doctor says the same about gluten, you have to be 100% off. Will try to start following, but right now going 100% GF is where I am going to focus, don't want to make too many changes that feel hard. My homeopathic doc basically was saying that sugar is horrible, and I was like yeah I know, but am so not going there yet, baby steps

I am now taking Amazon.com: Zypan 90 Tabs: Health & Personal Care to help with nutrient digestion, just started today, but will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the info, always easier if there is someone to help with info and motivation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked up the Zypan. It has some good reviews and looks like something that might help me with some issues I have had too. Thanks for the tip. I will be interested to see what your experience with it is. As we can expect with everything, drugs or diet, people are not all affected the same way.
    I agree with the baby steps. Its a journey , its not about doing something perfect over night. I find my motivation increasing as I gain experience and knowledge - these take some time.
    Thanks for starting this thread. It is helping me too.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast