Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

My PCP has been after me to eliminate wheat, corn and soy since I started having respiratory problems in August 2011. I have resisted. The soy is not an issue, or even the corn. My PCP is an integrated physician and has done wonders building up my bones (measurable improvement in my bone scans) using calcium and vitamin D - and NO medications. She says even organic wheat, corn and soy have been so disturbed by the introduction of GM agriculture - that switching to organic for grains and soy unfortunately does only limited good. Although eliminating pesticides IS a big plus of going organic - no matter what it is. The nutrition level might be the same between GMO and organic - but who wants to muck about with pesticides and animal antibiotics?

Still ... I LOVE bread. In the past few months though I have found myself using less bread because I discovered that I love rice cakes. Now that I have a tentative diagnosis of wegener's - I decided to really make a 100% effort. I found some great gluten free bread mixes. Also - Tinkyada organic brown rice pasta is just as good as regular pasta. You just have to cook it much less than the package directions. I am blessed to be near two grocery stores that carry a wide variety of gluten free substitutes. But - if you are not so fortunate - much of it is available for purchase online. I have really changed to composition of my pantry, fridge and freezer. But my cooking stays the same. The same recipes can be easily adapted to my new eating habits. I followed one of the links to a site by JJ Virgin - and discovered that my fridge/pantry now almost looks exactly like the ones she recommends!
    Last edited by BookNut; 03-12-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"