Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Hi, Victoria. I also have thick hair and had more loss on CTX. Now that I'm on MTX the loss seems to have stopped, and it seems to be thickening again, although it could depend on the dose, as I'm on a pretty low one, only 10mg. a week and it probably won't go higher because I think it is more or less a "maintenance" dose as opposed to the hard-hitting doses they use to stop Wegs in it's tracks. I haven't been declared in remission, but am at that end of things, if all goes well. I also have the cramps, mostly in my and feet or lower legs. Sometimes just thinking about something else will make them go away, and otherwise all that helps is massage or changing one's position. I've always heard that taking extra calcium can help cramps, even on short notice, such as when lying in bed and needing some relief, so getting up for a glass of milk, yogurt, or other quick calcium source.
    My mum and others swear by cork to eleviate leg or foot cramps........the corks that you get out of wine bottles etc.
    You rub your foot on them and the cramp goes away.....or something like that.....google it
    To go one step further, she has a cork tile and puts it at the end of her bed under the bottom sheet.
    Supposedly, if you sleep with you foot/feet touching the cork, you will not get cramps......or move it up to the calf area.
    She said it really works.
    I take plaquenil for my RA/OA and this also helps with cramps......never had them since taken the plaquenil, which contains quinine.
    Last edited by mishb; 01-27-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    My mum and others swear by cork to eleviate leg or foot cramps........the corks that you get out of wine bottles etc.
    You rub your foot on them and the cramp goes away.....or something like that.....google it
    To go one step further, she has a cork tile and puts it at the end of her bed under the bottom sheet.
    Supposedly, if you sleep with you foot/feet touching the cork, you will not get cramps......or move it up to the calf area.
    She said it really works.
    I take plaquenil for my RA/OA and this also helps with cramps......never had them since taken the plaquenil, which contains quinine.
    Huh, guess I could also have a gin and tonic, which would also contain quinine? And the cork thing sounds pretty interesting.

Forgot to tell Victoria that I also get hand cramps, which have recently started up again after a long time. They are definitely sporadic and aren't happening now as I type. Could be related to working with my hands in a different way, which I've been doing lately.

I guess it'll all work itself out!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair thinned dramatically on MTX. I was devestated as I had really thick hair. We evetually redused my dose and added Imuran to replace the difference and fortunately the thinning stopped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Victoria. Yeah I have been on meds a long time. I only have one kidney so they want to keep me on the 20 mg of methotrexate to lower the chances of a relapse and it showing up my kidney next time. I dont have many side effects just anemia and that has gotten better with a few iron infusions I had this year. I guess it is worth it stay on this than start all over with prednisone and everything if it comes back. prednisone is the worst! I do have wine a few times a month too My doctor is ok with it. I feel pretty healthy most of the time. I am sure u will do great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12