Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fundraising Adventure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fundraising Adventure

Hi. My name is Peter Marshall. I haven't been active on this site for a while. I was diagnoses with WG in October 2010. My diagnosis and treatment probably followed a similar path to many of you. I ended up in the ICU unable to breathe with a hemoglobin level of 80. My lungs were a wreck. I went through heavy steroids, cyclo, and plasma exchange. After almost a year of monthly cyclo infusions I started to flare and show signs of becoming tolerant to the drug. So I switched to Rituximab and then Cellcept and have done much better since. I have been off pred since last June and seem to be in a stable remission.

So I have decided to embark on a fundraising trip. I'm calling it the Autoimmune Expedition. It's a self-propelled cycling, climbing, and skiing trip from Vancouver, BC to the summit of Mount Rainier (14,417 ft) in Washington. The trip will include 1000 km of cycling and around 10,000 vertical feet of climbing on one of the largest mountains in the lower 48 states. I will carry all my gear on a trailer behind my bike. I'm not sure how well my shredded lungs will do with such exertion and altitude, but I'm committed to giving it a go.

My goal is to raise money (and awareness) for Systemic Autoimmune Rheumatic Diseases (SARDs) research. As most of you know, WG fits into this class of AI disease along with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, and several others. I'm hoping to raise $14,417 for specific research projects through the Arthritis Society of Canada. Research crosses borders though, so this will benefit everyone suffering from SARDs.

Please check out my blog: The Autoimmune Expedition. It has just been launched. Soon there will be links for donating online and there will be regular updates. Please send me your thoughts and feedback.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow , another Cindy and Marta adventurer on our forum to cheer on with their promotional and fund raising efforts.
    Last edited by drz; 01-17-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go for it Pete! You might be pleasantly surprised at how well you do.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003