Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu outbreak?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flu outbreak?

How many have flu outbreaks in their area? It seems most states have some outbreaks. Locally our hospitals, nursing homes etc have visitor restrictions. Our assisted living facility is in a shut down for any scheduled social activities and things like room cleaning are suspended. Our adjoining nursing home has around 10 cases of flu with one death possibly related to the flu which is uncertain since the nursing home section usually has a one or two deaths most months from various causes.

Since my sinus infection I have had excess mucous running down the back of my throat and it has caused a sore throat and lately non-productive cough. I seem to have recovered from the sinus infection which was treated with antibiotics but the sore throat came back a week or two later. When I check out symptoms of respiratory flu, they sound very similar to a Weg flare with exception of a higher fever but so far I have no other symptoms of concern. I am hoping I have cold even though Jack said with Wegs there is no such things as "just a cold". since the clinics are full of people with the flu I want to try avoid going in to get it diagnosed since the the screening techniques are not real valid either.

When they talk about people vulnerable to complications from a flu I have the feeling those of us with Weg damage to lungs, sinuses, kidney etc must be in this list too. Back when I just had diabetes they always insisted on flu shots for me given my higher risk of complications due to a poor immune system. My Wegs certainly must have increased my risks. Right?

Does anyone else feel at higher risk now from current flu outbreaks? Has anyone had any schools close by them? I read of one school in neighboring state that had half it students missing which seems to warrant a closing in my book. What extra precautions are you taking? I am skipping some social events in large crowds and eating at potluck events.
    Last edited by drz; 01-11-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel at a higher risk for almost everything! LOL! I did receive a flu shot this year, no problems so far. Docs have said that I can go out in public, etc., but that I should take some precautions such as washing hands more, avoiding those coughing, etc. I don't have kids around, so not much to fear there although I've been around grandkids when they've been sniffling, and have not gotten anything. I did get bronchitis last winter, took the usuals after my WG panic over being sick, and got well within 2 weeks. Basically, we can do most anything in public we want, but we do have to take extra precautions just because we are who we are! So, no, am not overly worried about the flu, but then again, I don't over expose myself to such if I can manage it. WG paranoia I guess................
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Health alert emergency called in Boston. Hospitals are full and ER's are extremely stretched to the limit. I agree we the lucky weggies are definitely at risk. I too am staying away from crowds, and have put off visiting my Aunt at assisted living until
    I feel safe. Best regards and please be careful.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone is sick in my town... ugh.

All kinds, flu types (chills, aches, fever, sore throat), sinus types, stomach bug barfing types.. I already had two different bugs since the beginning of December and still trying to kick the cough from the most recent one.

I can deal with all sorts of things, but if I have to puke I am going to freak out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of Canada is in outbreak status for Influenza A and Noro Virus.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone around me at work has had the flu it seems like. Weirdly I've managed to avoid it thus far. Seems counter-intuitive. Only thing I can guess is that it's due to heavy hand washing lol.

We had a death in the state of a 22 year old young lady from this flu. Odd to be someone so young and seemingly healthy.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our local paper just reported there are 900 people in hospitals statewide at present. There have been five deaths so far where flu is listed as cause of death. I wonder about all the other cases where is was just another problem or the straw that broke the camels back and contributed to ones death.

Right now I think I have or am getting bronchitis and am debating about whether to go seek an antibiotic. I like to use them as sparingly as possible since there are only a few I can use due to several drug allergies so I tend to put it off til I know there is no alternative. Last time I had to use the Walkin clinic on Thanksgiving Day. I have been advise to use them as little as possible and not just for prevention because of my drug allergies and the fear I might run out of treatment options at a time when it is crucial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had it in mid-October. It caught me before I could get a shot. Though the flu lasted a short time, the respiratory illnesses that follow off and on lasted another two months. Local care centers and the hospital discouraged visits, but provided Purell and face masks for those who came. I'm doing fine now, but that was the worst bout of illness I've had in a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found this on news post:
    Flu was widespread in 47 states last week, up from 41 the week before, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Friday. Many cases may be mild. The only states without widespread flu are California, Mississippi and Hawaii
    The hardest hit states dropped to 24 from 29. Those are states where large numbers of people have been treated for flu-like illness. Those with less activity include Florida, Arkansas and South Carolina in South, the first region hit in the current flu season.
    Nationally, 20 children have died from the flu. There is no running tally of adult deaths, but the CDC estimates that the flu kills about 24,000 people in an average year. Flu vaccinations are recommended for everyone 6 months or older. Health officials are still recommending vaccinations, even in areas with widespread flu reports.
    Nearly 130 million doses of flu vaccine were distributed this year, and at least 112 million have been used, according to CDC officials. Vaccine is still available, but supplies may have run low in some locations, health officials say.
    Also on Friday, CDC officials said a recent study of more than 1,100 people has concluded the current flu vaccine is 62 percent effective. That's in line with how effective the vaccine has been in other years.
    The flu vaccine is reformulated each year, and officials say this year's version is a good match to the viruses going around. Flu usually peaks in midwinter. Symptoms can include fever, cough, runny nose, head and body aches and fatigue. Some people also suffer vomiting and diarrhea, and some develop pneumonia or other severe complications.
    Most people with flu have a mild illness. But people with severe symptoms should see a doctor. They may be given antiviral drugs or other medications to ease symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't get the shot, I'm afraid to actually. I don't really go out in crowds and when I do go out I am pretty cautious and I always am washing my hands or using santizer. Since the weather has been cold I always have a scarf around my coat so if someone starts coughing around me I just cover my mouth, because alot of people don't. It is scary...can't wait till this all passes and life is " normal " again.HA HA
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast